Chapter Eight: Appraisal of my Sword

So, after leaving Liz's potion shop, we made our way to see the master swordsmith. Once again Lillia took me by the hand to lead me through the town's busy streets. After a few minutes walking we arrived outside a shop that had a sign which consisted of a sword and axe crossed over each other. This had to be the swordsmiths shop. I could hear a faint clinking sound of metal being bashed onto metal coming from inside. Lillia pushed open the door and we both stepped inside.

There didn't appear to be anyone inside the store, but I could still hear the clinking sound, only it was now louder and seemed to be coming from somewhere in the back of the shop behind the counter. I guessed that must be where their workshop was.

Looking around the shop the walls were covered with every kind of sword imaginable, from small and light looking rapiers to double handed claymores. There were also other types of weapons interspersed between the swords here and there, but it was clear that their main expertise was in crafting swords.

Seeing that the owner hadn't noticed that we had arrived and starting to look a little impatient, Lillia headed to the front desk and rang the bell situated there. The bell rang out and we waited for a moment, but still no one appeared from the back of the shop, the sound of metal clinking away could still be heard.

"Gosh, Beth is always like this once she gets carried away working on a project. She should really close the store or employ someone to watch over the shop. Anyone could just wander in here and clear out the place." Lillia said ringing the bell again.

There was still no response, just the sound of clinking metal coming from the back room.

"Beth!" Lillia yelled at the top of her voice while ringing the yet bell again.

I was a little taken back by the sudden yell from Lillia, she was usually so softly spoken, and it seemed against her normal demeanour. I suppose she was in a hurry for us to get out into the field and start my training. This time the metal clinking sound stopped, and I could hear some rustling coming from the back and the sound of footsteps approaching.

"Oh, it's you Lillia!" The woman that appeared from the back room said, I assumed this was Beth that Lillia mentioned.

She was rubbing her hands on a cloth and then wiped the sweat from her brow as she walked up to the desk. Beth appeared to be a wolfkin, she had wolf like ears that sprouted out through the brown hair on her head and a bushy tail that seemed to be wagging happily away. She was only wearing a loosely fitting t-shirt and shorts, with a heavy apron over the top. I could tell that she had physical job, by her muscular physique, but she was in no way manly looking. Just very well-toned, like a sporty sort of girl and bore a happy smile. Another beauty, seriously this place and the women that inhabited it were unreal.

"Morning Beth, you finally came out. Getting carried away on a project again?" Lillia answered tying her best not to sound exasperated.

"Yeah you know me, once I get my teeth into something and I'm working on something special right now... How can I help you today and who is this?" Beth said giving me the once over.

"I'd like you to appraise his weapon. This is Theo, my new summons."

"Hello Theo. Well let's see it then." Beth replied stepping out from behind the counter and into the store. Seeming more interested in the weapon than me.

"Here you go." I said drawing my sword and handing it over to Beth.

"Hmm... Well it looks nice." She said taking the blade in her hand.

She gently ran her hand down the blade, the sword gave out a slight ringing sound as she did so.

"And it has a nice balance. Could you both step back a bit?" Beth asked.