A Silent Goodbye

Day 15

Wednesday, 15 December

5:12 PM

You take a deep breath and let it out as you flip through the pages of the calendar before stopping at December.

'Fifteen huh?' Your finger hovers over the date before you walk away from it. Quickly changing to your uniform and taking a seat on the wooden chair.

Lex hasn't reached yet and you were waiting for his arrival. Killua had given you a spare key to the back entrance of the club long before he left, in case something like this happened.

The past two days haven't been great. Your body felt sluggish and you barely had any motivation other than survival to come to your job every day. Not to mention, the constant anxiety you felt when you were right at the place deemed safest for you; your own house has been giving you chills lately.

Killua has been sticking to his word, calling or messaging you once or twice every day to check up on you. You felt better whenever he did so. Maybe it was time for you to visit Miss Frea since you haven't been feeling very well. Which you never mentioned to him.

The thoughts kept you so busy that you hadn't noticed Lex coming in.

"Hey!" He waved his hand in front of your face and you snapped out of your head, giving him a small smile and a nod of your head. Both of you arranged the club, switching on all the appliances before arranging the leather-clad furniture around the place.

The guards and the rest of the few employees working today arrived a few moments before Lex pulled open the shutter. Wednesdays aren't considered very busy days, but rather normal ones.

Around six rounds of gathering the glasses and washing them, you were finally done for the day.  You sat down in the bland-looking room once again, exhausted from the day's work.

Lex had introduced you to a few of the recruits today who are going to be in charge of keeping the club tidy. And speaking of the devil, he walks into the room, giving you a weary half-smile before sitting on the floor beside you.

"Tesha, I won't be coming with you today..." He looked at you with a sorry expression. You wouldn't lie that the sudden information didn't catch you off-guard, but the more you thought about it, the more you felt like it was okay.

'I'm already being a trouble for him by making him walk with me to my place...'

"Yeah, Lex it's okay. Also, is there any important reason for that?" You smiled weakly at him, it wasn't that you were upset because you would have to walk alone. It came more from a place of physical and mental fatigue.

He paused picking at his black hoodie and looked at you in concern, clearly mistaking your expression.

"Screw it! I'm coming with you, no worries-"

"No! Lex it's okay, I just wanted to know if there was some reason I didn't know of. I understand if you don't want to-"

"My girlfriend... is sick today..." He cuts you off as he looks at the floor forlornly. Your eyes soften, waiting for him to continue.

"It's not like she has been well for a long time either..." He chuckles dryly, his voice course with pain. Something that sparked painful memories in your mind.