Mishaps And Some Gratitude

‘Mommy will love you forever,

my little sunshine.’

"Are... You sure? It's fine because I don't want to trouble you either..." You speak softly to the lady before you.

"Hey... What trouble? We are like family, it's only something we must do for each other." She smiles sweetly at you and you nod, returning the polite gesture to her.

The brunette standing before you was your neighbor. She was in her mid-twenties and was always a sister-like figure to you.

She didn't know that Haru was your son at the time. Having believed in the lie you had created for the sole purpose of their own safety.

Haru pulls back from your shoulder and gives you a scared look. You ignore it, trying not to make him feel more uneasy.

"Okay then, I'll babysit him from today on, whenever you and Mia are at work." She smiles, gently taking hold of Haru and transferring him on her torso. And for a moment you almost pull him back onto you. But stop yourself from doing so.

His eyes start to get glossy from the tears that were welling up. You fix your bag on your other shoulder before giving him a little kiss on his cheek, whispering tiny words of reassurances in his ear before waving at him.

A string of sobs leave his throat as you turn around and walk off, resulting in your heart to break clean in half as a stray tear runs down your cheek. Dampening it and you speed up your pace, knowing that if you turned around to look at him even just once more, you wouldn't have the heart to leave him. Even though it's only for a few hours, till you return from your workplace.

Sora was her name, the brunette who used to babysit Haru.

Life had taught you your lessons,

Lessons of pain,

Lessons of hope,

And then, the lesson of trust...

‘ Why did I trust anyone?...’