A Small Glimpse

"I thought I would get at least some break."

Estella opened her eyes to see Snape standing over her with an irritated expression. The Potions professor was clothed in white. She frowned. "What are you wearing?"

Snape sent her a death glare as he stood, taking a seat on a sofa. "I should be judging you for the choice of location."

Estella looked around as she sat up slowly, her eyes widening in recognition. It was the Gryffindor Common Room. Or the perfect version of one. An amber fire glowed warmly under the hearth as scarlet burst joyfully from every corner of the room. "Oh."

"I always knew you belonged with the idiots." Severus rolled his eyes, looking rather uncomfortable. "Why I was the one who had to mentor you is a question I'll never know."

Estella looked at the dark-haired man, tears misting her gaze. "You died."

"Accurate observation." Snape's face softened slightly as he took in her miserable expression. "It was my time Lestrange. I was ready."

Estella nodded, smiling slightly. She looked down, expecting to see white robes. Yet she still lay in her dark ones. She frowned. "I'm dead?"

Snape sighed, raising his eyes to the heavens. "Not yet." He stood. "It is not your time."

Estella felt a stab of shock. "How.."

"I have learned it is better to ask less questions," Severus peered at her with his dark gaze. "And simply have faith."

Estella swallowed, looking at the walls in admiration. A large part of her soul was yearning to stay.

"But you do not have that option," Snape interrupted her thoughts as he strode over to the fireplace. "And Potter would be far more pathetic without you."

Estella's heart swelled at the mention of the boy's name. She pressed her hands against her eyes, checking the temperature. It was cool.

"That power is gone." Snape held out a small pot that appeared to contain some sort of dust. "Voldemort is gone and you are free."

A smile spread across Estella's lips as she walked slowly over to Snape and peered into the pot. "Am I supposed to eat it?"

"Don't be ridiculous," the man snapped, pouring a stream into her hand. "It's for you to travel back." He nodded towards the fireplace. "It's time for you to go."

Estella shook her head, the dust trickling through her fingers. "I don't want to leave you."

"Estella," Snape gave her a gentle push into the fire. The flames lapped at her feet gently and Severus's eyes seemed to glow with an unexplainable joy. "I am happy."

Estella bit her lip, her eyes filling with tears. The dust trickled down as the flames encircled her body and the common room began to disappear.

"Don't lose sight of who you are Estella," Snape's figure hovered in the air. "And you will stay next time."

With that, Estella was once more immersed in darkness.