Duelling Bellatrix

"Now I want to see your dueling skills. Impress me."

Estella stifled a groan as Bellatrix prodded at her with her wand, inspecting her daughter up and down. Her mother, as usual, was fascinated with violence and eager to take out her constant rage. Estella had been growing more irritable as the days passed and she didn't want to let her anger spiral. Who knew what she could expose to Bellatrix.

"I don't.."

"Oh don't be a poor sport," Bella simpered, battening her long eyelashes at her daughter. "We are all alone, it's safe. You know I'm just having fun."

Estella resisted the urge to throw something at the witch and crossed the large sitting room before turning to face her mother. Without counting down, she twisted her wand and an angry ball of flame burst from its tip.

Bellatrix widened her eyes in surprise, but flicked her wand, dismissing the flame right before it singed her. "Somebody's in a mood today."

Estella shook her head and flung another curse in her mother's direction after dodging a nasty looking hex.

"Wait," Bellatrix paused with a wicked smile. "I want to duel my true daughter."

With a flick of her wand, Estella's enchanted features melted away and Estella felt a stab of alarm as dark curls tumbled down her back. She hesitated and a bold flash of light grazed her arm.

Hissing, Estella put up a Shield charm as she whipped behind a bookshelf, using the wood as protection.

Bellatrix laughed hysterically and darted across the floor, knocking piles of books and priceless artifacts to the ground. Each spell was more dangerous than the next.

"CRUCIO!"

Estella stumbled as the curse hit her side. Suppressing a scream, she clenched her jaw against the pain. Amelie has taught her to fight through. As black dots formed in front of her eyes, Estella collapsed to her knees.

"At least you have the courage not to shriek," Bellatrix grinned. "That's my girl."

Estella felt a boiling sensation take over her body and her hands burst forward. With a blast, Bellatrix was knocked off her feet and into the bookshelves, which crashed on top of her.

Estella instantly snapped out of her rage and her eyes widened. She held her breath as a hand raised and the bookshelf was spun back in place. Her mother picked herself up from the ground, looking surprised but pleased.

"Now that's more like it."

Suddenly, the doors burst open and Amelie Blackwood burst in, looking horrified. Her gaze turned from one of worry to anger as she took in the scene.

"What. Were. You. Thinking." Her voice was deadly calm.

Estella stiffened and took a step back, but Bellatrix seemed unfazed.

"We were just having a bit of fun Amelie. It can easily be fixed." The witch waved her wand and the room was restored to its former order.

Amelie looked at her old friend with a rage Estella had never seen before. "Do you know what isn't EASILY fixed? Your daughter's death when you expose her identity."

Bellatrix frowned. "No one is here."

"But they could be," Amelie snapped. "What's happened to the sensible woman I once knew."

"You've become a softhearted fool," Bellatrix sneered.

"CONFRINGO!"

Bellatrix flew across the room and hit the marble mantle with a sickening crunch.

Amelie stood with her wand raised and eyes ablaze. She stalked over to where Bellatrix lay on the ground, dazed. "I am a lot of things," she hissed. "But never EVER. Call me a fool. For you are the one who has become a waste of life. Estella is more my daughter than she will ever be yours."

Bellatrix spat out a mouthful of blood. "She will soon realize what a coward you are."

Amelie backed away, her eyes growing sad. "Better a coward than a selfish monster."

And with that, she was gone.