Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Matthew sighed watching Kuma roll in the grass. He had managed to find a small quiet park close the Prussian's apartment. He was a bit worried to leave him alone, but trusted him to be smart. He walked over to one of the trees and sat against the trunk.

The air was a little cold, but he didn't really care that much. His mind started to wander going back to earlier in the day. He quickly shook his head to get the memory away. Other's started to pop up in their place. He smiled at them. They were all old memories of Gilbert. Things he'd said or done that had made him happy. He still loved him and never moved on. He knew the albino almost certainly felt the same, but he also loved police work.

For him, to love Gilbert meant going back to that job. He had too many bad memories that weighed on him. He knew if he had stayed much longer years ago, he'd break down and he didn't want the albino to have to deal with that. He couldn't have standed being a detective anymore. He had to leave and find a better head space and purpose. Not that he'd really found either.

Matthew knew he didn't want to be a detective again, but he also didn't want to go back home. He lived alone, he spent most of his days with his dog. He loved Kumajirou, but needed more human interaction. Making new friends and keeping them seemed like too much work. Especially since he wasn't sure how long he was going to stay in the same place. He wasn't living, just existing. He didn't want to go back to being alone, but he didn't want to be a detective either.

The Canadian was brought out of his spiral by a bark. He jumped in surprise hearing it. Kuma was standing right in front of him wagging his tail. He trotted forward and plopped down in his lap. Matthew smiled ruffling his fur. The dog licked his face and wiggled happily. He's big and wasn't a good lap dog, but Kumajirou didn't care.

Matthew looked around realizing it was starting to get dark. He wasn't sure how long they'd been at the park. "Time to go home?" He asked. Kuma jumped out of his lap with a bark. "Or, ah, go back to Gil's place." He corrected himself.

The dog seemed slightly less happy, but trotted along side him as he walked. The blond didn't bother with the leash. He knew Kuma wouldn't go anywhere. The walk back to Gilbert's apartment wasn't too long. He spotted a few officers around, in marked and unmarked cars. He assumed Elizabeta had put them around.

"Birdie!" He was pulled into a hug as soon as he stepped inside. "Vhere'd jou go? Jou scared me!"

"Sorry." Matthew apologized hugging back. Kumajirou tried to worm his way in between them. "I lost track of time."

"It's okay, I'm just being paranoid." Gilbert sighed stepping back. He didn't seem to want to. Matthew didn't either.

"You definitely have a reason to be paranoid!" The Canadian said with a small smile. The albino shrugged running a hand through his hair. He winced at the slight pain from his wound. "Don't rip your stitches."

Gilbert gave him a bright smile and went to the fridge. "Since I'm stuck at home, I'm going to drink." He took a bottle of beer out of the fridge. "Vant any?"

"Sure." Matthew shrugged.

The pair settled on the couch. Gilbert picked a movie. The blond had seen it before years ago, but he didn't really care. By the time the movie was over, both were fairly drunk.

"Birdie." The Prussian asked getting his attention.

"Quoi?" He hummed looking over.

"I missed jou a lot." Gilbert said with a pout. "Did jou miss me? Did jou think about me at all?"

"Of course I missed you!" Matthew said slightly offended. "I thought about you a lot."

"If jou missed me and I missed jou, vhy don't jou stay?" The albino asked stumbling over his words.

To Matthew, it sounded like a math question. He took a moment to think about it. "I don't want to be a cop again?" He sighed.

"Vho said jou have to be a cop?" Gilbert asked sliding closer to him.

"Me?" The blond furrowed his eyebrows. "No, you?"

"I didn't." The Prussian smiled. "Jou don't have to be a cop to stay!" He said trying to convince him. Matthew almost couldn't compute what he was saying. He'd been absolutely convinced he had to be a cop to stay with Gilbert. Hearing different made him confused. "Just stay please. I miss jou so much! I love you, please stay."

"Okay." The blond said simply. The albino just stared at him blankly for a moment. A smile spread across his face. "I'll stay."

"Awesome!" The Prussian squeaked excitedly. He launched himself at Matthew and hugged him tightly. He hugged back burying his face in the crook of his neck. They stayed quiet for a moment. "Vogel, I'm sorry for making jou leave before."

"What?" The Canadian asked. Gilbert was about to repeat himself, but he interrupted. "You didn't make me leave. It was my choice." He sighed pulling back. "I picked up and disappeared. That wasn't fair to you."

"Jou gave me more than enough varying." The albino bit his lip. "I didn't listen, I was stupid."

"Well, yeah." Matthew shrugged. "But it was because you love work."

"I put vork over jou. It was stupid." Gilbert whined. "I never realized how much of me liking vork was because I spent all my time with you." The blond smiled hearing his words. They both had tears in their eyes. "I was so stupid. I'm sorry, please say jou'll forgive me!"

"I said I'd stay." Matthew said pulling him back into a tight hug. "Don't you think you're already forgiven?"

"I don't know." Gilbert huffed.

"You're forgiven." The Canadian said.

"Thank jou, Birdie." The albino said resting his head on his shoulder. Matthew smiled gently. "I don't think I'll remember this in the morning."

"I will."

"I know, tell me please."

"Okay."

"Promise?"

"Yeah."