Chapter 11 - The Investigation Part 2

Inspector Hatfield's point of view

"Thank you, that's very helpful." I tell DC West as I hang up the phone. Thankful that I can finally arrest the offender once and for all.

I make my way back into the living room where everyone is waiting for me. "Any news, Inspector?" Charlie asks me.

"Funny you should ask me that, Charlie." I start, "considering it was your story that led me to discovering the truth."

"You can't be suggesting that I killed my own brother?" He starts, sounding frightfully angry, "that's insane."

"You lied to me Charlie." I tell him, "you told me that you and Liliana argued about Jocelyn giving you money for your business. But your financial records show that Jocelyn never transferred any money to you at all."

"Because she's not actually my business partner." Charlie explains, "But that doesn't mean that I killed Michael."

"I know, but why don't you tell me why you really brought her here this weekend." I start, feeling so confident and smug.

"I told her that I thought Michael would be happier with her than he is with Liliana. That I would help her break them up so that they could be back together again." He explains, sounding defeated.

"But that wasn't the truth, was it?" I ask.

"What?" He questions in reply.

"I know a man in love when I see one, Charlie." I tell him, "You're in love with your stepbrother's wife, aren't you. That's why you wanted to break them up."

"Alright, fine." He finally admits, "I confronted Liliana, she told me that she didn't love me and I got annoyed. That's what we were shouting about. But I was with her the entire time, I couldn't have killed Michael without her seeing me."

"Don't worry, Charlie, I know you're innocent." I reassure him. "I just wanted to make sure there was motive for Liliana to kill her husband."

"What? I didn't kill my husband." She demands.

"Oh, but you did." I start, "and that's why we found the scarf you used to strangle him with your makeup supplies. Your fingerprints were all over it, and so was Michael's skin cells from when you wrapped it around his neck."

"It's my scarf, that's why my fingerprints were on it." She claims angrily, "And I've leant it to Michael more times than I can count, there's no wonder his skin cells are on it."

"Then how do you explain fibres from the scarf embedded under his fingernails?" I ask her, and my question is met with silence from everyone in the room. Because I finally caught her out. "He was scratching the scarf before he died, trying to remove it so that he could breathe."

"Liliana," Daniel, starts, sounding utterly shocked. "Why?"

"Because Charlie was going to tell him about his feelings for her. She couldn't risk Michael suspecting that something was going on between the two of them."

"It's not true." Liliana says calmly. "There's nothing going on between Charlie and I. And Michael would have believed me when I told him that. That's not why I killed him."

"For his money then?" Jocelyn asks, "why divorce him and get half when you can kill him and get the whole lot?"

"No. I've told you this entire time that I was never with him for the money. I loved him." She begins to explain. "But he was dying. Jamie told me himself. His tumour was growing and there was nothing we could do to stop it. If it got any bigger, he wouldn't be eligible for cryogenic freezing. So by killing him, I gave him a chance at another life. One where we could be together when they find a cure for his illness."

"You have no idea how selfish that is." Maria comments, staring at Liliana in disgust."

"It's what he would have wanted." Liliana comments, "one lifetime together isn't enough."

"Liliana Spencer, I am placing you under arrest for the murder of Michael Spencer. You do not have to say anything but anything you do say can and will be held against you in a court of law." I tell her, grabbing her by the arm to place my handcuffs on her.

And I can't help but think, if only she didn't love him as much as she did; maybe then he would still be alive.