Chapter 5 - Jamie

Jamie's point of view

"That was an excellent meal." Daniel states, "you've really outdone yourself, Liliana."

I smile at his comment, it's true, the meal was absolutely sublime. So I lift my glass, "to Liliana and Michael." And everyone repeats me, lifting their glasses in unison before taking a sip of their drinks.

"You're too kind." Liliana smiles. "But thank you."

"I'd just like to say," Michael starts, everyone's attention turning to him. "Thank you for all coming here to celebrate with us. This past year has been the best year of my life, and I have Liliana to thank for that. She has changed my life in a way I never thought was possible."

"Here here." I say with a wide smile, and Michael looks at me, smiling back at me. Having known him for so long, it's easy to see how much happier he is now that he's found Liliana, even if everyone claims that she's too young for him. I must admit, at first I was a little sceptical when I heard that there was a fourteen year age gap between them, but after meeting her, those worries slipped away. She loves him wholeheartedly, and anyone paying attention can see that.

"Jamie," Maria starts, changing the topic of conversation. "We haven't had a chance to speak yet, I'd love to hear about your work at the hospital."

"It's pretty hectic at the moment to be honest with you." I tell her, and glance at Michael quickly, but his face says it all. Don't mention that he's my patient. "Speaking of the hospital though," I start, thinking that I'll slip up if I carry on talking about the hospital directly. "My friend Georgina told me earlier that a certain Mr and Mrs Spencer are on the list of people to be cryogenically frozen when they die."

Everyone turns to look at Michael and Liliana, who are smiling at each other, but it's Charlie who speaks up, "I didn't realise the two of you believed in that nonsense."

"Well we might as well try." Michael claims, "if there's even the smallest possibility of living again one day, why wouldn't I be interested?"

"Fair enough." Charlie nods.

"And besides." Liliana starts, speaking up. "One lifetime together isn't enough."

"You two are too cute." Daniel says, smiling widely, "you really are the perfect couple."

"Thank you, Daniel." Michael replies, but I notice Maria, Jocelyn, and Charlie exchanging some rather odd looks. Almost as if they know something that I don't. "Anyway, we should probably clear all this up." Michael states, gesturing to the mess of dishes on the table.

"I'll do it." Liliana says instantly.

"I'll help." Daniel offers, jumping out of his seat.

"Charlie and I have a bunch of work to do." Jocelyn adds, "we'd better head upstairs and make a start on it."

And just like that, everyone flees, including Maria, who left without an explanation at all. Leaving just Michael and myself. "I'm glad I got you alone for a moment." He starts, just as Liliana and Daniel leave with all the plates. "There's something I need to talk to you about."

"I'm sure there is." I tell him, "I had a look at your MRI results. It's worse that we first feared."

"Okay." He nods, "I'll do that experimental trial then."

"Michael-"

"It could work." He states.

"It could kill you." I tell him sternly. "Listen to me, as your doctor and your friend. You can't do this. It's too dangerous. You're going to get yourself killed."

"I refuse to believe that." He says calmly, as if his life isn't at stake here.

And that's where I lose it. "Jesus Christ, you're too stubborn for your own good." I yell at him. "If you don't want to listen to me, that's fine. But you'll end up dead." And with that, I leave, storming out of the room and bumping into Liliana as I do so. "Sorry, Lils."

"Is everything okay?" She asks me, "that sounded pretty heated."

"You heard that, huh?" I ask, knowing that I need to do a better job at controlling my anger.

"I think the whole house heard it. Hell, I'd be surprised if they didn't hear it in Australia." She comments, looking me in the eyes so compassionately, just like always. "What happened?"

"He's worse than we thought." I tell her, and her face drops instantly. "I can give him medicine to help with the pain, but he's so stubborn, he won't listen to reason. He's convinced himself that this stupid experimental trial thing can save him." I explain to her, taking her hand in mine. "Please Liliana, for Michael, you have to convince him not to go ahead with it. Otherwise I fear he may end up dead."

"I'll do my best." She reassures me. "Thank you, for being such a good friend to him. I don't know what either of us would have done without you."