Chapter 2 - Liliana

Liliana's point of view

"Daniel!" I squeal as I open the door, so happy to see my best friend. He steps forward and picks me up in his arms, hugging me tight.

"Good to see you little one." He smiles, placing me back down on the floor. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I tell him, "Jocelyn showed up, that's all."

"No way." He immediately replies, clearly in shock. "Who the hell invited her?"

"Charlie." I reply bluntly. "I swear he's up to something, I just don't know what."

"Well, I know something that will take your mind off of it." Daniel smiles, and I know exactly what he's on about, he doesn't even need to say another word for me to get excited. "Is everything all good for next weekend?"

I can't help but smile as he asks me this, "I've booked the cabin, requested rose petals, champagne, chocolates, the works." I take his hand in mine and give it a little squeeze, "it's the ultimate romantic getaway."

"And you're sure he doesn't suspect anything?" Daniel asks me, sounding rather concerned.

"Not a clue." I tell him with a big smile. "I'm not stupid enough to go blabbing it to the whole world."

"Hello!" I hear someone shout from behind Daniel, and I quickly let go of his hand. I look to see that it's Maria, Michael's step-mum, making her way up to the house. "I'm not late am I?"

"You're right on time." I tell her, "you remember my best friend Daniel from the wedding, don't you?"

"Yes, of course." She smiles slightly, "you were quite the dancer, if I remember correctly."

"I know a few good moves." He chuckles, "anyway, we should probably head inside."

"Of course, come on in." I tell them, and gesture for them to make their way inside, then close the door behind them. "We're just waiting on Jamie now. He's usually pretty punctual, so I'm not sure where he's got to."

"I'm sure he'll be here sooner or later." Maria comments, following me down the hall. "It'll be good to see him again. He's always been a good friend to Michael." When we get to the dining room, Maria smiles wider than I ever thought was possible. She never smiles around me. "Charlie!" She goes up to him and gives him a big hug, which is a little weird if you ask me, considering that we're celebrating Michael today, not Charlie.

"Hi mum." He smiles back, "good to see you."

I walk over to Michael, and he puts one arm around me, whispering in my ear, "I spoke to Jocelyn. I think she's up to something, but just smile and kill her with kindness. Be your usual, lovely self."

"Will do." I whisper back, and when I turn my attention back to the group, I see Jocelyn staring at me with narrow eyes, clearly displeased with what she sees.

"Well can I get anyone a drink?" I ask, trying to be the best hostess I can be.

"We got a new gin the other day if you'd like to try it." Michael announces to everyone. "It's gooseberry flavour."

There are nods coming from around the room, indicating that everyone would like to try it, "perfect, I'll go get that for you all."

"Here," Daniel starts, "I'll help you." I smile at his offer, but catch Maria glaring at me with a distasteful look in her eye. What could I have possibly done to piss her off so much?

"Thanks." I tell him, as we both make our way to the kitchen.

"God, it was a bit tense in there." Daniel comments, as soon as we're out of earshot. "That's why I offered to help, just to get away from it all."

"So it wasn't to help a friend in need, then?" I ask in a playful tone.

"I'm always here for you, you know that." He replies, grinning. We get to the kitchen and I grab the glasses as he heads to the fridge to grab the tonic water. "Where's the gin?"

"Second cupboard on the right." I tell him, and he finds it easily.

"God, those glasses look fancy." He remarks, placing the gin down on the sideboard.

"They're more expensive than they look." I tell him with a small chuckle, "we only get them out on special occasions."

"Is it weird?" He asks, watching me as I pour a serving of gin into each of the six glasses. "Going from having nothing, to being surrounded by all this?"

"It is a bit." I tell him honestly, topping the drinks off with tonic water. "But you know me, I've always had expensive taste. Now I just don't have to worry about running out of money after buying something that I want."

"Don't suppose you could get a few things for me, could you?" He jokes, "I could do with a whole new wardrobe."

I laugh at his comment as we collect up the drinks, three glasses for each of us. "I'll try work my magic."

"Well we both know that Mike would do anything for you." He replies, and I smile at this. Because it's true, he would do anything for me, because he loves me. And I love him.

"Bad news I'm afraid." Michael tells me as Daniel and I walk back into the room. "I just got off the phone with Jamie. He's held up at work. Won't be here for another hour or so."

"Well in the meantime, let's show everyone to their rooms." I suggest, slightly worried that the food will be cold by the time Jamie arrives, but I quick session in the microwave should be able to sort everything out. "You can all get settled, and enjoy these drinks."