Chapter 1 - Michael

Michael's point of view

I go up behind my radiant wife and wrap my arms around her as she sets the table for our guests. "I love you." I whisper in her ear, then give her a quick kiss on the neck.

"Mike, I'm trying to lay the table." She chuckles, then turns around to face me before continuing. "But I love you too." She kisses me softly placing her hand on my neck before pulling away again. "Can you believe that it's been a year already?"

"The most amazing year of my life." I grin, looking into her gorgeous grey eyes, thinking how lucky I am to be with a woman so beautiful, and so kind-hearted. I don't know what I've done to deserve a girl like this.

"And I can't wait for the many more to come." She smiles back at me, then kisses me once more. "You have no idea how happy you make me."

But before I have a chance to reply, I hear the doorbell ring. "I'll get it." I tell her.

"I'll quickly finish laying the table." She tells me in reply, then turns her attention back to the cutlery sprawled across the table.

I head to the door, wondering who's first to show up. I hope it's Jamie, a lot has happened since the last time we spoke and there's so much I need to catch him up on. And I'd rather that conversation took place in private, it's not something I wish to concern anyone else about.

But as I open the door, I'm saddened that it isn't my oldest friend. Instead, standing in front of me is my younger brother. "Charlie!" I smile, taking a step forward to give him a hug, but I stop in my tracks when I see someone else stood next to him. "Jocelyn? What are you doing here? You weren't invited."

"Charlie invited me." She tells me with a smug grin and a bitter look in her eyes. "We have a lot of work to do this weekend."

"Am I missing something?" I ask them, looking at Charlie for an explanation, though I'm not sure I truly want to hear the answer.

"We're business partners." Charlie explains, cool as a cucumber, as if bringing my ex-girlfriend to my anniversary party is no big deal. "Jocelyn granted me a loan so I can finally go ahead with my new business project."

"Charlie, you could have just asked me for the money, you know I would have given it to you." I tell him, utterly annoyed at him for consulting with a woman who I thought I would never see again. She's probably only come here to ruin the weekend for me.

He looks at me and sighs, "but Jocelyn has great plans for the business. You know how intelligent she is, it's one of the things you loved most about her."

"Yes, alright Charlie, I don't need reminding." I command sternly, wishing I never invited him in the first place. "Well, would the two of you like to come in?" I ask, being the gracious host that I was taught to be.

"Thank you." Jocelyn smiles at me, taking a step inside, and I can't shake the feeling that I've just welcomed the devil into my home. I dread to think of the chaos that this will cause.

"Follow me." I start, walking into the dining room, where Liliana should hopefully still be. I smile as I see her, just like I do when I always see her. "Charlie and Jocelyn are here." I tell her, hoping that she won't be too annoyed at the surprise arrival.

I can see the shock on her face, but it quickly turns into a smile, "Jocelyn, it's been a long time." She walks over to her and hugs her uncomfortably. And I'm surprised she's being this civil, I know that I for one wouldn't be too pleased if Liliana's ex-boyfriend showed up. "I wish I had know you were coming, I hope we'll have enough food."

"It was a last minute trip." Jocelyn smiles back bitterly, "but we couldn't exactly cast our work aside."

"Work work work." Liliana says with a small laugh, keeping the peace. "It's an admirable trait."

"One that I'm sure you know nothing about." Jocelyn comments, causing Liliana's face to drop. "Tell me, when was the last time you had an actual job?"

It takes a few seconds for Lils to adjust, and I'm wondering if I should say something; but I know that she can handle herself. "It's been a very busy year, as you can probably imagine." She tells her, her fake smile painted back onto her face. "After the honeymoon we just wanted to enjoy some time together. We both agreed that I should just stay at home rather than go to work."

"You both agreed that, huh?" Charlie comments, and I really don't appreciate what he's insinuating.

"It was my idea actually." I tell him, bringing myself into the conversation. "Call me selfish but I wanted her here, all to myself." And with that, the doorbell rings again, signalling another guest's arrival. "I'll get it."

"No, please." Liliana insists, "let me." And I give her a nod, knowing exactly why she wanted to get herself out of this awkward situation.

As she leaves, I turn back to Charlie and Jocelyn, "please, just for these next two days, try to get along. Or at least pretend to get along."

Charlie sighs, "I haven't done anything. I love Liliana, you know that."

"Well you might but Jocelyn has made it very clear that she doesn't." I tel him, then turn to look at Jocelyn, "now are you going to carry on acting like a child?"

"I have no idea what you're on about." She says, grinning as she speaks. And from that wicked look in her eyes, I realise exactly what I've got myself into these next two days. And there's no escaping it.