Chapter 7 - Daniel

Daniel's point of view

"I guess we have no choice then." I hear Charlie say.

"We have to tell Michael the truth." Jocelyn adds.

Hearing this, I know that I have to tell Liliana what's going on. Maria, Charlie, and Jocelyn are trying to break Michael and Liliana up, and I won't let that happen.

So I rush to her bedroom, but she's not there. Where on Earth could she be? The last time I saw her, we finished washing the dishes and she told me she was going to go to her room for a little bit of quiet whilst Michael was busy. So where is she now?

I head downstairs to ask Michael if he's seen her, but I stop when I see her walk out of his study. "Liliana!" I shout, getting her attention. "Everything okay?" I ask, seeing that she looks upset.

"Yeah, everything's fine." She tells me with a small, unconvincing smile. "Jamie and Michael had an argument, that's all. And I've been brought in to play diplomat. That's all."

"Is everything okay between the two of them?" I ask her, not wanting to make a bad situation worse. I'd hate to give her this bad news whilst she's already feeling down.

"It soon will be." She reassures me, but I can tell that she's actually reassuring herself. "Everything will be sorted out in no time. But you know how stubborn Mike can be."

"Yeah." I chuckle a little, remembering the time he refused to let me take a taxi home because he read somewhere that taxi drivers remember addresses so that they can later come back and rob the house. So he drove out of his way forty minutes just to make sure I got home safely. "He definitely doesn't like compromise."

"No, definitely not." She chuckles briefly, before moving on. "Anyway, what was it that you wanted to tell me?" She asks, "you seemed pretty eager to talk to me just now."

"Yeah," I start, taking a deep breath before explaining. "I was just upstairs and I overheard Maria talking with Charlie and Jocelyn. They know about next weekend."

"So?" She questions, not seeing the urgency of the situation. "I booked a log cabin, what's so bad about that?"

"They're on their way to tell Mike about the trip." I tell her. "Telling him that we're going to the cabin together, and that we're having a secret affair."

"What?" She says angrily, "why on Earth would they say something like that? I swear, from the moment they met me, they wanted me out. And now they're using this to do just that."

"I'm afraid you're right." I tell her, "Because I also heard Maria say that she doesn't like Michael choosing you over her. That's why she wants you gone."

"Maybe he chooses me because I care about him." She suggests in a disgusted voice. "I just can't believe she'd stoop so low. "As if she thinks I'm having an affair with you. You're my best friend, that's all."

"Come on," I say, "let's go tell Mike before they beat us to it."

"Good idea." She nods, then opens the door to his study once more, not even bothering to knock. "Michael, there's something important we need to tell you."

But in that moment, Liliana starts crying, not able to keep it together any longer. "What's wrong?" Michael asks, caring so much about his wife.

"They all hate me." Liliana sobs into Michael's shoulder as he hugs her in an attempt to comfort her.

"I don't understand." He claims, holding her tight. "What happened?"

"Maria, Jocelyn, and Charlie found a booking receipt on her phone." I begin to explain, hopefully shedding some light on the situation. "It's for a romantic getaway to a log cabin next weekend. They're convinced that Liliana and I are having a secret affair behind your back, because it was booked in my name. But I just asked Liliana to book it for me so that Morgan wouldn't find out. I was planning on proposing, and I didn't want to risk ruining the surprise. That's why I got Liliana to book it for me."

Michael nods, "okay. Now I understand." And I'm glad that he believes us. I mean he should, because it's the truth, but there was always the small chance that he wouldn't. "Don't worry, Liliana. I trust you, you would never do that to me, I know that." He then turns to me, "you're a good friend, Daniel. I don't know Liliana would do without you. So thank you, for always being there for her."

"I'm not even nearly half as good a friend to her as she is to me," I tell him with a soft smile, "but you're welcome. That really means a lot to hear you say that." I look at Liliana, still upset, "I should probably leave you two alone."

"Thanks, Daniel." Liliana says, wiping more tears away.