Chapter 6 - Maria

Maria's point of view

"Jamie," I say, seeing him rush through the house, clearly rather upset. "Is everything alright? I've never seen you so worked up before."

"It's nothing." He tells me, "I just need a moment to cool off."

"The garden's a good place for that. Very scenic, and very large. You could get lost in there for hours." I tell him, but I'm not sure he should be on his own. I don't want him doing anything stupid. "You know, if you need someone to talk to, I'm more than happy to listen."

"Thank you, Maria, but I'll be alright." He reassures me, though I don't believe him in the slightest. "Michael and I have fallen out before, it's nothing new."

"But it's different this time." I comment, easily reading this situation. "What happened?"

"He's being a stubborn prick." He tells me with a sigh.

"Well," I start with a deep sigh, "he's always been rather stubborn. And it's a waste of time trying to convince him to do something that wasn't his idea."

"So I should just leave it?" He asks me, "even if that means he'll get hurt?"

"That's not what I'm suggesting at all." I tell him, looking him in the eyes. "Michael's just like his father, and what worked with him was planting a seed, letting him believe that it was his idea when it was yours all along. Michael's too stubborn for his own good, but that also means that he can be tricked easily."

Jamie takes a deep breath, thinking about what I've just said. "Thank you, Maria, I'll bear that in mind." He smiles a little, but it's not very convincing. "But for now I just need some time alone."

"Of course." I smile back, letting him go off on his own. And I see that he took my advice about the gardens, because it's exactly where he's headed.

But I make my way upstairs to check in on Charlie and Jocelyn. When I get to their room, I see that their both looking intently at a phone, presumably Liliana's. "Found anything?" I ask them, evidently taking them by surprise.

"Jesus Christ, mum, a little warning next time." Charlie comments.

"Well?" I ask, just wanting answers.

"I found an email from the company she used to book the log cabin." Jocelyn begins to explain, "it confirms the candles, chocolates, rose petals, and a box of spa treatments and massage oils as well."

"Well surely that's enough evidence, right?" I ask, taking a step closer.

"Oh it gets better." Charlie smiles, "she booked it in Daniel's name. So she can't use the excuse of booking it for her and Michael as a way of getting out of it."

"So now we can tell Michael." I state, "and Liliana will get what's coming to her."

"Mum," Charlie starts, a confused look on his face. "Why do you hate her so much?"

"She's cheating on your brother, Charlie." I tell him sternly, "isn't that enough reason?"

"Not for you." He tells me, standing up from where he was sat. "You've never particularly liked Michael all that much. So why start caring about him now?"

"Look, with Liliana gone, Michael will be all alone. And he'll need his family there to pick up the pieces." I start to explain, placing a hand on my son's cheek. "He needs to understand that family is always there for each other, rather than constantly casting us aside for this new wife of his. I don't want to be his second choice anymore."

He places his hand on top of mine, "I know how you feel." He tells me, "we used to be so close, but it's all fallen apart lately."

"Because of her." Jocelyn inputs, and I can't help but agree. All this trouble started when he met her, if only that never happened, we could all be happy again. And we could be a family again.

"I guess we have no choice then." Charlie says, sounding a little upset, probably at the prospect of hurting his brother's feelings by exposing his wife's antics.

"We have to tell Michael the truth." Jocelyn states. And with a single look around the room, I know that we're all in agreement.