Chapter 8 - Michael

Michael's point of view

Not long after Daniel left us alone so that I could console Liliana, the study door flings open and in walks my step-mum, brother, and Jocelyn. "Guys, could you give us a moment please." I ask them, not wanting to deal with this right now whilst Liliana is still so upset.

"This can't wait." My mum says, "we have something to tell you."

"That Liliana is cheating on me?" I ask them, ashamed that they would even believe that was possible. "Well she told me all about the weekend away she booked."

"So why are you still holding her in your arms?" Jocelyn asks, her hand son her hips and a bitter venom laced in her voice.

"Because I don't jump to conclusions, like you all clearly do." I tell them all. "The weekend wasn't for Liliana and Daniel, it was for Daniel and his partner. He wanted to propose so he asked Liliana to book it in secret so that Morgan wouldn't catch on."

"But I heard Daniel ask if 'he' suspected anything. If he was talking about this Morgan girl then why would Daniel say 'he' instead of 'she'?" My mum asks, being completely oblivious to the situation at hand.

"Because Morgan's a man." Liliana explains to them with a sniffle, standing up straight, rather than huddled up in my arms like she was a second ago.

"Daniel's gay." I add, hoping that they will finally believe us. "That's how I know Liliana would never cheat on me with him. It's impossible."

And as everyone stares at me with shocked expressions, Charlie speaks up in a soft, quiet voice, "so you are just friends?"

But before I get a chance to answer, Liliana beats me to it, "I told you already. I love my husband. He's the only man for me."

And Charlie seems upset when he hears this, and I can only assume it's because he falsely accused my wife of having an affair and feels bad about it. Either that, or I'm in the dark about something here. But I follow his eyeline to Liliana's hand, and as I look at it, I see that there are bruises around her wrist. "Lils what happened to your wrist?"

"Oh." She starts, holding her wrist in her opposite hand, "when I was washing the dishes up I hit my wrist on the taps. I didn't even realise it was bruised until now."

"Charlie?" I question, getting his attention. Wondering why he was looking at her wrist so intently, but not mentioning it. "Do you know anything about this?"

"What?" He questions, seeming genuinely surprised that I would ask him that. "Of course not."

"Sorry." I apologise, feeling bad for accusing my own brother of any form of violence towards my wife. If anything did happen, she would have told me, she has no reason to lie, and neither does he. "I didn't mean to accuse you, my head is just all over the place recently."

"Don't worry about it." He tells me in return. "We should never have jumped to conclusions. I'm sorry." And then he turns to leave.

"Charlie," Jocelyn starts, stopping him from leaving.

"We were wrong, Jocelyn." He tells her in a solemn tone. "Liliana's innocent, there's nothing more to say."

"But-" she starts, but I don't even want her to continue at this point, so I interrupt her.

"That's enough, Jocelyn." I say, cutting her off. "Truth be told I think you've overstayed your welcome. So first thing tomorrow I want you gone."