Chapter 9 - Liliana

Liliana's point of view

After fixing my makeup, I head back downstairs, heading back to Michael like I promised I would after I left him a few minutes ago.

But at the bottom of the stairs, Charlie is standing, waiting there. "What do you want, Charlie?"

He gestures to the kitchen door with his head, and I follow him. And once we're alone, he starts speaking, "I wanted to say sorry, for accusing you of cheating." He tells me, and I nod my head slightly, not forgiving him, but appreciating his apology. "And I also wanted to thank you, for not telling Michael about your wrist."

"Well I didn't exactly do it for you." I tell him, looking down at my wrist briefly, before looking back up at him. "If he knew the truth, if he knew what we were talking about earlier..." I trail off, not even wanting to say it. Not wanting to accept the fact that Michael would hate me forever.

"So you admit it now?" He asks me, "that we did sleep together the night before your wedding."

"Alright, yes, I admit it." I finally say with a deep breath. "But it didn't mean anything, Charlie, I really do love Michael. And that's the truth."

"Then why sleep with me in the first place?" He asks me, and I can tell by the tone of his voice that he genuinely just wants answers. And I can't blame him for being confused about this whole situation, I would be too if I was in his situation. After all, I've been shutting him out ever since the wedding, so he's never had a chance to just ask me what the hell was going on in my head.

"Because I was scared." I tell him truthfully. "The whole commitment thing has been difficult for me. I was only twenty two and I was getting married. You can't blame me for getting cold feet, can you?"

"But why me?" He questions, seeming a little frustrated. "If you never felt anything for me, then why would you choose me?"

"I just needed one last reckless moment before I committed to the same man for the rest of my life." I tell him, starting to cry, getting upset over all this because I truly love my husband more than anything on this planet, and talking about this horrible thing that I've done to him tears me up. He doesn't deserve this. Michael is the most loving man on the planet, and he deserves more than this. "And I chose you because I knew you wouldn't tell him. How could you? You're his brother."

"I see." He finally says, processing what I just told him. "So you're saying that you felt nothing for me this entire time?"

I shake my head, more tears escaping, "it was just convenient. I'm sorry, Charlie."

He angrily runs his hand through his hair, "you're just a dumb slut." He yells, pointing a finger at me. "You had me thinking that you cared about me this whole time. But you never did, did you? You were just manipulating me."

"I didn't mean to." I tell him, but as he starts taking a few steps closer to me, I get more and more scared. I'm starting to think that he's going to hurt me. A lot kore than he did last time. "Charlie, Charlie! Stop, please! Don't do this!"

I quickly run for the door, just wanting to get away from him. I just want my husband. I run into the living room, cutting through their to get to Michael's study, but as soon as I step foot into the living room, I stop dead in my tracks. And I feel like I can't breathe, like my throat is on fire. I can't help but let out an ear-piercing scream at the sight of my husband's body laying on the floor. "Michael!" I yell, rushing to his side and shaking him. "Michael, please, wake up!" I shout, refusing to accept that he's dead.

But in moments, Charlie's by my side, "Oh my God." He exclaims, crouching down next to me. "Liliana, look." And I see that he's pointing to the marks around his neck. He was strangled.

And I just start weeping, with no control. I barely notice everyone else in the house some into the room. Because all I can think about is the emptiness I feel in my heart. And no matter how much I want it, I'll never get my husband back.