Chapter 24 - Dance

Disclaimer: I do not own the Vampire Diaries or any characters.

Thank you so much to SasukeDz, elliemay212, I_have_no_life_2020, Marvel_girl23 and Prettylittletalker for voting on the last chapter! I hope you enjoy this chapter as well!

The door rattled shut behind them.

A chorus of undignified squawks, screeches and shrieks bursting through a moment later along with the occasional bellow as one of her brothers said something truly outlandish. Rebekah snorted, they deserved each other who was she to get in the middle of wolves ripping themselves to pieces.

The floor is a ship deck swaying beneath Rebekah, she clutches Stefan's hand leaning into him to stay upright. Adjusting his grip on her Stefan grasped her chin making her hazy eyes look into his, her clammy skin under his fingers seemed transparent.

"Songbird, what's wrong?"

"Are you really that dumb?" Katherine's voice came from above them and they turned to see her leaning against the staircase bannister with her signature smirk.

"What are you talking about Katherine," Before she could answer he turned to Rebekah, "What is she talking about?"

Rebekah stared at the floor examining how the candles' glow made the broken glass shine like stars.

"Wow you really are trying to protect him," Katherine came down a few steps cocking her head to the side she examined Rebekah, "And you look positively awful. No wonder you wanted to keep it a secret."

"Shut up Katherine, I'm not in the mood." Rebekah spat out and if Stefan paid more attention, he would have realised there was no real bite to her words. He'd see the way Katherine looked at Rebekah with something one could only describe as...remorse.

"It's her mother's magic," Katherine chuckled, "Her body cannot handle that amount of magic, so it's trying to get rid of it. Unfortunately, the magic has nowhere to go making her body attack itself. I'd say her hours are numbered, but we are all going to be dead by sunrise so what does it matter." Katherine strode around them, but Stefan caught her by the elbow.

"I know you have an escape plan-"

"You know me a little too well, but escape plans tend not to work when everyone knows about them." Katherine tried to pull her arm free, but Stefan tightened his grip.

"All I'm saying is when the time comes, you include Rebekah and I. Trust me, I know things - we know things which make us more useful alive than dead to you."

"Tempting...but why would I waste a ticket out of here on you two when if the creator of my bloodline dies, I die as well?"

"Because we both know you and Stefan didn't come from Klaus' bloodline." Rebekah forced herself to stand up straight to look Katherine in the eye, "He wasn't interested in making more vampires only hybrids. However, I was rather interested in making vampires, it's a lot harder for people to die on you when they're immortal."

Katherine pursed her lips like a puffer fish before nodding. Her voice lowered to a whisper she poked her manicured index finger into his chest.

"I'll hold you to that deal Stefan, when we get out of here I expect to know all your secrets. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go kick Klaus' ass for being mean to my boyfriend." Katherine sauntered past them her Jimmy Choo heels grinding the glass on the floor to dust. Pausing with her hand on the rusting doorknob she threw them a smile over her shoulder "I'll see you both at sunrise – or perhaps not. My plans may have changed by then."

She winked at them then left.

~~~

The war still raged downstairs, the screams of traitor, murderer, betrayer bouncing off the wall and shaking the rotting house. Sitting like forgotten dolls with their backs leaning against peeling wallpaper Stefan and Rebekah held hands. Through half lidded eyes Rebekah stared at the forgotten room, the bedroom furniture piled into a corner, candles dancing in the reflection of the broken mirror. Cobwebs covered a gramophone in the other corner, the spiders the house's longest inhabitants. The wardrobe door hung off its hinges inside a dress rotted, perhaps once white dust now embedded the dress, a rainbow of stains tarnishing it.

"If we get out of here," She swallowed her throat full of sawdust, "I want a dress like that one."

"Have you become delirious? That dress is rotten." Stefan stared straight ahead grinding his teeth he let his head thud back into the wall.

"I bet it was beautiful once, I bet somebody loved it, loved the way it made them feel when they wore it – like they were the belle of the ball."

"It was Katherine's dress," Stefan snorted, "Still want one?"

"Yes, but maybe in a different colour."

He finally turned to her quirking an eyebrow with a frown.

"I used to love how those dresses made me feel. Every single one tailored to my body they were so beautiful. I'm sure Katherine would agree with me."

"You agreeing with Katherine? Now, I know you are delusional," He shook his head wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"Smile Stefan," Rebekah said leaning her head against his leather jacket with a sigh.

"Now is not the time for jokes Rebekah." Stefan stated letting his head thud into the wall behind them again.

"Then dance with me." She grabbed his hand tugging on it. When he didn't move, she stood up staggering a little she dusted herself down before crossing the room to the brush the cobwebs off the gramophone.

"Don't you get it Rebekah? We are going to be dead in less than twenty-four hours! Yes, I know I have lived over a hundred and sixty years and you for a millennium, but I only just got you back and I can't believe I have to give you up. I finally got my happy ending, but by this time tomorrow it'll be dead."

"All the more reason to dance, Mr Salvatore." With a crackle music began to trickle from the ancient machine, the piano and trumpet swirling together. The way she rolled his name off her tongue sent a shiver down his spine and spark plugs in his stomach. No one ever said his name like she did. It was enough to drive a man to insanity. And what with the way she wore a little smile like a diamond and swayed her hips over to him it drove away all rationality.

He clasped her offered hand standing, then using it to pull her body flush against his, not a millimetre between them. Draping his arms over her waist they swayed to the music. Plummeted into a euphoria of their love.

"If we're going to die," Rebekah continued in a husky murmur, leaning in until Stefan could feel her lips moving against his cheek, "I want to spend the time we have left seeing you smile."

Thank you for reading the Spare Girl!

If you liked this chapter please consider leaving a comment or voting! I love knowing what you guys think!

Do you think Katherine will cross Stefan and Rebekah or can she be trusted?

What do you think Katherine's escape plan is?

Have an awesome day!