Chapter 28

"You turned Elena into a vampire." 

Stefan paces in front of her. The floorboards of his Chicago apartment creak underneath him, his boots leaving marks in the dust. Eleven hours. Eleven hours since she shot Elena through the chest. Watched the blood gather on her shirt. Watched her body flop to the floor. She can't say she is sorry. 

Eleven hours since they fled Virginia, stuffed into a car Stefan compelled a man who looked like a beet to give them. They got out of the state before either of them could think about the possessions and people they left behind. She remembers Damon's words as she ran, I'll kill you, you blonde slut. Damon is not why she ran though, he never scared her. It was the look in Klaus' eyes which made her run. 

She glanced at her watch; a dainty gold chain held the mother of pearl watch face in place looking more like a bracelet than a watch. It ticked away soundly despite being over a hundred years old. Eleven hours and thirty-seven minutes actually. Elena will be waking soon, and she will have twenty fours to feed before she dies for good. Chuckling darkly, Rebecca reached for the bottle of vodka, she should have killed the girl for all the trouble she has caused. 

"You turned Elena into a vampire." Stefan completed another circuit of the apartment. A litany he'd repeated over and over again since they got in the car. The only thing he would say to her. 

Rebekah knew he would never get past her killing Elena, but she hoped he could get past her turning Elena into a vampire. But then again Elena had that type of effect on people. The kind which made them want to sacrifice themselves for her, do anything her rosy lips asked at any price. No one ever cared about Rebekah the way people care about Elena. Uncapping the bottle, she took a long slug. The burning liquid dribbled out of the corner of her mouth and down her chin. She swiped it away with her torn sleeve. She was never going to be loved like Elena, so why even try. 

"Elijah will only be able to hold Klaus off for so long." She stood. The room slid to the right. Maybe she shouldn't have drunk so much vodka. Glancing at the bottle she noted there was only a mouthful left. Shrugging, she drank it, dropping the bottle onto the bed as she staggered past.  The damage was done now, so she shouldn't be wasteful. "And this is the first place Klaus will look for me. Don't let him catch him you."

She eyed the car keys. It would be more effective if someone else drove her. Besides Klaus would have pulled strings by now to have a BOLO out on their "borrowed" car. Sighing, she wondered how easy it would be to get a chauffeur on such short notice as she slid into her heels. 

"Where are you going?" His voice is ruff. The kind of ruff which would usually send tingles down her spine, but right now it makes her hollow inside. This is going to be the last time she sees him. She ran from Mikael for a thousand years, but Klaus is not Mikael. Klaus will find her. She knows it in her bones. He will find her and dagger her and she will never see another face again. 

It's all inevitable, but she still has to run. It's the thing she is best at. It might take days, months or years for him to find her. But he will. He always does. 

"Away." She smiled softly at him. The sun is shining through the moth holes in the curtain, and he's rolled his Henley sleeves to his elbows. She wishes her last memory of him would be him smiling, but goodbyes are never perfect. "I cannot tell you anymore, I cannot risk Klaus torturing it out of you." 

The partially open cupboard catches her eye. Her dress still hangs in it. Beads and golden thread calling her like a siren's song. It will be safer here than where she is going. With a heavy heart Rebekah turns for the door. 

"Do me a favour Stefan, look after Caroline. After everything that has happened to her, she deserves some real friends. You both do." The brass doorknob is cool beneath her dead fingers. "Thank you for making me happy, even if it was a short time. Goodbye Stefan." 

"Rebekah stop." He rakes a hand through his hair. He's been doing that a lot lately; she thinks if vampires had the ability to lose hair, he would have rubbed it all off by now. "You can't just leave-"

"It's better for everyone this way. You can go back to Elena, hold her hand and coddle her through her transformation. I'll disappear. Klaus will leave Mystic Falls, chasing me around the world trying to exact his revenge. The townspeople will be free of his wrath and so will your friends." She promised herself she wouldn't cry, but her eyes burnt like she had rubbed the vodka in them. "Besides you will never fully be able to forgive me for what I did to Elena. I know you Stefan, you are too good of a person to love someone like me."  

Hi...so I'm a terrible person for not updating in over a year trust me I am well aware. I wanted to apologise to you all for the hideous wait. However, in that year I have grown as a writer and I hope to bring everything I have learnt to the next chapters of the Spare Girl for you all. 

I wanted to thank everyone who has left comments or private messages asking me to update, your support and encouragement is the reason I forced myself to continue writing this story. I had to write the ending of this story not only for Rebekah, but for all of you as well. 

This is kind of scary for me to admit, but I have also been working on an original work of mien which I will be posting on Wattpad. If you enjoyed the Spare Girl and have a spare minute please go check it out and let me know what you think - I would really appreciate it. The details of it are below and I hope you like it. 

The next Spare Girl update is planned for next Sunday! 

As always if you liked this chapter of the Spare Girl please vote on the chapter! 

That's all for now - bye bye! 

Description: 

Description: 

They say the moon keeps people's secrets, but for Tessa it reveals them all.

Tessa was never supposed to be the pack's next alpha, but fate had other ideas. Now there's a deadline hanging over her head for her to learn to control her wolf. However, the only one who can help her with that is the mysterious lone wolf caught trespassing on her territory. And what happens when a human catches the two of them on camera and starts making demands.

Can they keep the secret? Or are they all going to be picked off one by one.