Chapter 27 - Hybrid

Disclaimer: I don't own the Vampire Diaries or any characters.

Hello! Sorry for the two short chapters, but I really wanted to split them up to create the cliff hanger in the previous chapter! Don't worry next Monday it will be back to longer chapters!

Time stopped.

Heart thundering in her ears Rebekah lowered the gun. Then it slipped through her numb fingers plummeting into the grass. Her knees buckled and she followed. Collapsing to all fours with a sob she forced herself to look up.

The fire's flames returned to a mustard scarlet and slowly retreated into the wood. The other's dropped forward released from the spell. But they didn't move. They all stared.

Except for Elena.

A crimson stain blossomed over her white top.

Elena touched it. Fingers came away dripping with blood. She stared at it the world falling away from her. Then she looked to Rebekah.

"Why?" Blood spat out and dribbled down her chin. Her knees crumpled and she fell to the grass like a rag doll.

A roar ripped from Damon he surged forward catching her before her head could touch the grass.

"Elena!" He cradled her into the chest, "No! No don't leave me!"

"D-Damon," Her skin paler than the first snow of the year, "I-I...I love...you..."

Eyes slipping closed she became a bloody version of sleeping beauty.

Two pairs of hands grabbed Rebekah from either side pulling her to her feet.

"Rebekah," Elijah pulled her into his chest. She dug her nails into the front of his suit tearing the fabric. His French cologne whisked into her nose and she sobbed. She thought she would never get to hug him – any of them again.

A trembling hand rested on her back. It didn't belong to Elijah.

Cracking her eyes open she saw Stefan. One hand on her, he stared open mouthed at where Damon sobbed over Elena's prone body, his eyes growing blood shot.

"She she..." Rebekah choked out the words getting caught in Elijah's jacket.

"What?" Elijah went stiff peeling Rebekah off him to look her in the eye. But she couldn't look at him.

Klaus stalked towards Elena's body. Jaw set and eyes narrowed he inspected her.

"She's dead." He proclaimed.

"She'll live." A dozen eyes snapped towards her, but she searched out Katherine's. The brunette was already gone. Vanished. So had Esther.

"What? What are you talking about?" Caroline's blood shot eyes met hers from where she clutched Bonnie the two of them hovering over Elena's body.

"She drank my blood." She swallowed as Klaus stalked closer pressing herself further into Elijah, "I-I put my blood in the wine. Elena will wake up a vampire."

Rough hands ripped her away from Elijah crushing into her windpipe they hoisted her into the air. Blood trickled down her throat from his claws.

"What have you done?" Klaus shook her, head snapping back and forth like a rag doll. She kicked out, nails taking chunks out of his arms. He tightened his grip the bones in her neck creaking together.

"Niklaus!" Finn and Kol appeared over his shoulder their combined strength ripping him away. Rebekah clashed back into Elijah, blood staining his crisp white shirt.

"What is the matter with you?" Elijah bellowed yanking Rebekah behind him.

"She..." He lunged forward again veins in his face cracking, but the brothers held him back, "I can't make anymore hybrids if the doppelganger is dead!"

Thank you so much for reading the Spare Girl! If liked this chapter please consider leaving a comment or voting on the chapter!

What do you think Klaus is going to do now?

How will Elena react to being a vampire?

How will Stefan react to Rebekah killing Elena?