Chapter 12 - Rings of the Heart

Disclaimer: I do not own the Vampire Diaries or any characters or the image above.

Hello everyone, I wanted to say thank you to Prettylittletalker, Marvel_girl23, I_have_no_life_2020 for voting and commenting on the previous chapter I really appreciate the support!

Rebekah slipped the blush nightgown over her freshly washed body, then tugged the stockings up her thighs tying them in place with lace ribbon. Brushing her damp hair away from her face she smiled at herself in the mirror for the first time in a while proud of the face smiling back at her. Elena and Damon's torture had not broken her, it had only made her ties with her family stronger, making her stronger.

Exiting the bathroom, she hummed a forgotten song throwing the tattered clothes from her torture in the bin. She stopped in her tracks when she noticed Stefan perched on the edge of her bed looking like a schoolboy waiting outside the headmaster's office.

"Stefan," His name came out a whisper underneath her breath, a curse, as she drank in his white t-shirt and leather jacket emphasising the contours of his muscles. "Stefan what are you doing here?"

"I had to make sure you were alright." He rose to his feet, the weight of the world bearing down on his shoulders.

"Stefan don't be daft," She reprimanded, "I'm immortal, of course I'm alright."

"Maybe I wanted an excuse to come and see you then." He strode across the carpet to stand in front of her, his whiskey breath tickling her cheek. His hand rested below her ears, his thumb caressing her cheek their breathes mingling into one.

"Did you," She paused, licking her lips "Did you know what they were doing to me?"

"No, no I didn't," He held her tighter as if he could transfer his memories to her, make her see his innocence, "The second I found out I called Klaus to come rescue you."

"Why didn't you rescue me yourself?"

"Damon...he's my brother and I..." The words evaporated from his tongue and he let out a sigh. She recognised his look; she had seen it enough times. It was the face of man trying to choose between his emotions and his family. She nodded to herself stroking a hair away from his face.

"If we have nothing else, we have our family." He smiled a huff of laughter blowing the wisps of drying hair. He looked at her the way all girls want to be looked at; she hung the moon and the stars in the night just for him.

"Exactly..."

Their lips met and the world fell away. Nothing mattered to them: doppelganger drama, sibling drama, Mystic Falls drama all slipped away as they floated above their problems, their bodies melting into one. His kiss promised realness, igniting the primal desire caged within them for something more, for a connection and she pushed her body further into his chest intertwining her fingers in his hair. Pulling her waist closer he laughed into her mouth drunk on her.

Gasping they pulled away their foreheads making a tepee he stared into her eyes. Body weightless she let his touch banish all her troubles. Lost in his foreign touch she took refuge in his familiar arms.

"That was fun." He whispered into her lips trying to focus the world around him once again but failing miserably getting lost in the ocean in her eyes. She moved to kiss him again, but he held her back, "Wait," Every cell in Rebekah's body froze as Stefan pulled something out of his jean pocket, "I have something for you."

He held a ring between his thumb and forefinger

"You found it," Her words were so quite they were almost lost, "My daylight ring."

Stefan slipped it onto her finger then raised her hand to his lips kissing it making Rebekah weak in the knees. Then he cupped her face running his thumb over her cheek he studied her committing the contours of her into his memory never wishing to forget her again.

"Thank you, Stefan." She leaned into his touch letting her eyes close briefly as his fingers ran over the cracks in her soul.

"Anything for you songbird," He pressed his chapped lips to her forehead, "Maybe someday I will get to give you a different kind of ring."

Their loved roared louder than their demons as their lips met again.

~

The sunlight came creeping in afraid to disturb the starved lovers. Illuminating their pale skin, falling through their closed eye lids, and rousing them from their slumber. Limbs woven together they basked in the sun revelling in how it kissed their skin where their lover had kissed the night before. Stroking the golden tresses away Stefan pressed a kiss to the back of her neck,

"We're in love, aren't we?" His lips a feather against her skin, she arched backwards into his touch, "When did that happen?"

"Depends who you ask, me, I've been in love with you for ninety years-"

He groaned tightening his arms around her, "Let's not start that again, we get it I'm a jerk-"

"If you'd let me finish," She whipped herself up over him to straddle him running her nails across the muscles hidden by his white t-shirt, "There is an old story I remember," She leaned in grazing her lips against his forehead, "Where humans were created with four arms, four legs and two heads. Zeus, the most powerful of the gods feared their power so he split them into two. The humans became destined to spend their lives searching for their other halves. So, if you ask me our souls were created to fall in love with each other before we were even born."

He lay staring up at her is mouth parted, the sun reflecting off her golden hair creating a crown for his queen, he curled a piece around his fingers, the softest thing he had ever touched.

"God, I wished I'd done everything differently with you. I had forgotten how beautiful your soul is when it's full of love." He leaned up to kiss her letting her melt into his chest as their souls danced with each other, he flipped them over pressing Rebekah down into the pillows his arms caging her in. "Maybe I never stopped loving you, maybe it's always been you, maybe I was too scared to admit it before."

"Ah how sweet," Their heads snapped to the where Kol slumped against the door, a Cheshire's smirk painted across his face. Rebekah ripped the pillow out from under Stefan ignoring the thud of his head colliding with the headboard she lobbed it at Kol's head. He ducked a cackle escaping as he wandered into her room, "Shall I be expecting a niece or nephew in nine months' time?"

Thank you for reading the latest chapter of the Spare Girl!

Did you like the chapter? If you did please consider leaving a comment or vote!

What do you think of Rebekah and Stefan's relationship now?

Are you happy Stefan called Klaus to save Rebekah or should Stefan have been the one doing the rescuing?