31

Gemini

"Gemini! Put your phone down-you'll want to see this." I turned toward my alarm clock: 23rd March. Scorpio's coma would be marking three months tomorrow.  Groaning, I stood up, trudging toward my younger brother who was holding out his iPad. "What is-oh, my god!" I dropped his iPad, startled upon seeing the news. "That... really?" He nodded grimly. I opened up my messages, finding 5 unread texts from Aquarius.

Gemini, did you hear about Cancer? I'm so scared... where could he be?

And then,  few hours later, at exactly midnight: They've declared him to be missing. If he doesn't turn up in the next three days... they'll take him for dead.

At 3 in the morning, a frantic message: Gemini, Scorpio's bike! He stole it! They have a lead!

A vulnerable, raw message sent in the hazy blues of 5: I'm scared, what if he's really gone?

And then one last message at 7: Gemini, please answer!

"Oh, my god, just look at this!" Alan shoved his iPad under my nose, a new story about Cancer open on it. "Here, it says: Cancer Chang, a student at the famed Zodiac High, has been officially declared as missing by the police. Chang recently suffered the loss of close friend and allegedly romantic interest Scorpio Costa, who has been in a coma for three months. Leads have traced him to a freeway by the ocean. The site is currently being investigated by both on-land and underwater search teams. 

"It has been revealed that Cancer Chang used Costa's bike for a quick getaway, and detectives speculate that he lost control of the vehicle, throwing him, and the bike, into the ocean below. The bike has been located in the water about ten metres from the edge of the freeway, meaning that Mr. Chang either managed to swim to safety or has drowned."

I sighed, shaking my head. "If he was on the bike and he plummeted into the water, it's safe to say...."

"He's dead," my brother finished, before walking away. Blinking hard, I gathered my belongings and threw on a top and jeans, hurrying out the door to find Aquarius.

.....

"Hi, is Aquarius home?"

"Yes, but she's still a bit shaken up."

"It's okay; I can help her."

Andromeda nodded, showing me to Aquarius' room, where I found a pajama-clad Aquarius gazing out her window. "Aquarius, I'm here now. Talk to me; how are you feeling?" To my surprise, Aquarius turned toward me, laughing, before gathering her thoughts and giving me an answer. "Well, in the course of about 24 hours, I found out that the guy I had feelings for was into someone else, that same guy ran out on me, and now he's probably lying at the bottom of the ocean with no life left in his body. So yeah, I'm just peachy." I rolled my eyes, seating myself next to her. "Come on, gorgeous. How am I going to help you when you give me that attitude?" Aquarius turned away, her expression devoid of emotion. "I don't need your help, Gemini. I'm fine." Arching my brows skeptically, I looked toward the empty boxes of tissues scattered across the floor. "Doesn't look like it." Aquarius stood, fists balled. "Stop telling me I'm not okay!" 

Glancing hastily at my phone, I turned toward Aquarius, now dead serious. "Well, if you are okay right now, you won't be after you see this. It's an update in the case... one you won't be thrilled with."

Aquarius rushed toward me, snatching my phone. "Okay, you can read it out." 

"Mr. Cancer Chang's case has now seen a rather devastating development, revealing he might be stranded in foreign territory. Coast guards called to investigate the scene revealed that a tidal rip current, or rip for short, was present in the waters where Mr. Costa's bike was found. 'The rip that passed this side of the ocean was pretty strong last night-if Mr. Chang was caught in it, he would've been carried miles outward, unfortunately,' Zoe Thatcher, a coast guard, says. While the police wishes to call off the search for Mr. Chang, the students, parents and staff a Varsity High are currently petitioning for the search to continue. Until a final verdict is delivered for the proceeding of the search party is determined, it has been called off. As of now, Mr. Chang is thought to be missing, and, unfortunately, deceased."