23

Taurus

"Jake, why don't you just do the right thing and jump out a window? Captain Holt will never fire me if he knows I'm mourning the death of a close friend." 

I laughed, hearing the dryness of my own voice. Scooping up a part of my disheveled blanket, I allowed myself sniffle, my tears making splotches on the blanket. Placing the blanket down again, I pressed play on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, pulling my blanket around myself and pulling down the window next to my bed, allowing the musty scent of snot, melted chocolate and tears to stay bottled within my room. "Taurus, please, you need to leave your room..." At this point, my father was practically begging. 

"No." I turned back to my TV. My father sighed, his shoes thumping against the steps as he marched up to my room. "That's it, young lady. I'm taking your television, and your access to the internet, unless you get up and get dressed." This was, admittedly, deserved. I'd come running, crying, after slapping Libra hard across the face. I felt horrible, but more than that, I felt... embarrassed. So embarrassed. So many of the people at the food court were from Varsity High. They had their phones out, some of them filming the entire incident.  I hadn't bothered to take a single look at my phone since the incident, too scared about what dangers awaited me. 

"Taurus, you have a visitor! Please do him a favour and stay at least an arm's length from him." He? Who could it be? "I'm coming!" I yelled, hurrying down the stairs. Who could it be? Not any of the girls, obviously... what if it was Leo, with those hands, checking to see if I was okay? I groaned, really wishing I'd washed up before this. 

I walked forward, ready to face whoever it was at the door. Much to my surprise, it was Pisces, holding out a folder. "Your homework. Thought someone ought to give it to you." I accepted the folder. "Thanks," I tried for a smile, but ended up in tears once again. "Whoa, whoa, you good?" Pisces asked, his eyes widening. "I'm okay," I nodded through tears, wiping my eyes. "You don't look alright." Pisces looked down at his feet nervously. "Hey, let's do something fun to get your mind off all this, yeah? How about I meet you here at six?" I was just about to say no when I noticed my dad groaning at the table, looking at me intently. 

"Sure!" Pisces smiled, his dimple popping in the adorable way it did whenever he smiled with those beautifully white teeth of his- what was I thinking? I liked Leo, not Pisces! "Alright. I look forward to tonight." I smiled, watching as he turned and closed the door, walking away with that perfect lean frame-oh, my god, I had to stop.

"Okay, you heard the boy-go get changed! And shower, for God's sake." I nodded, running up to the bathroom.

.....

I sat in front of my vanity, pushing all the tissues off it to do my makeup. I grabbed a mascara wand, working my way in a zig-zag up my lashes to make sure I gained maximum volume. Flattening out my low-rise jeans, I smiled at myself in the mirror, adjusting my wrap top. I bent down, strapping my heels up before walking out of my room, clutch in hand, to wait for Pisces. "You look lovely, Taurus!" Dad exclaimed, grinning, before leaning over. "This Pisces boy... is he your boyfriend, by any chance?" I gasped, backing away. "No! He's just a friend-a really cute friend, but JUST A FRIEND!" Dad started laughing. "I just wanted to know if I should get out the slippers or not." He paused. "Although, if you did go out with that boy, I wouldn't be unhappy. He's got  a good head on those shoulders. And he's considerate-he came to check on you." 

I smiled, thinking of just how adorable Pisces looked when he'd stopped by. "He really is so sweet." I shook my head. "AS A FRIEND! He's really sweet as a friend!" Almost simultaneously, the doorbell rang. "Oh, he's here!" I ran to the door, throwing it open and promptly hitting Pisces square in the face with it. "Oh, god, I'm so sorry, Pisces..." I rushed over to help a struggling Pisces straighten himself out. Pisces just laughed, his dimple popping. "Hey, that's a way to make an impression." He pulled out a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, blushing slightly as he handed them to me. "Flowers. For you." I smiled, accepting them graciously. "They're beautiful. Thanks, Pisces."

Pisces grinned, offering me his arm, when a flying flip-flop hit it. Pisces turned around, stunned, to find my dad behind him. "Now listen here, young man, don't you dare try anything. She should be back here, not a drop of alcohol on her, by 11:00 SHARP! Do you understand?" Pisces raised his hand in a salute. "Yes sir!" My dad nodded, now smiling at Pisces. "Have fun, boy. Enjoy yourself. BUT NOT TOO MUCH!" Pisces laughed. "Alright, sir." 

I held open the front gate for Pisces, smiling. "Well, you clean up nice," he remarked, grinning. I couldn't help but notice just how good Pisces looked in those dark grey acid-wash denim jeans and that crew-neck olive top, paired with a black coat. I wrapped my own white coat around myself, taking a seat in Pisces' car. "So, what do you have planned for me, Pisces?" I asked, trying to hide the slight blush creeping across my cheeks-why was I blushing? 

"Well, since it's nearly Christmas, I thought we'd go ice skating." My eyes widened in horror. "Pisces, no! I've never even been ice skating-how am I going to do it? Oh my god, I'm so dead... And I came in heels... didn't even bring socks..." Pisces laughed, eyes on the road. "Well, I brought extra socks for you. They might not be the right size, but they're fluffy, so they'll prevent blisters. And don't worry; I'll help you out there on the ice." I sighed, absolutely terrified of what awaited me on the ice rink. 

.....

"You got it-slow and easy does the trick..." Pisces took my hand in his, his knuckles gently tickling the underside of my fingers. He slowly eased me off the wall, taking my other hand. "Just breathe," he reminded me, noticing just how tense I was. I took a deep breath, focusing on our intertwined hands. Would it be different if Leo were here instead of Pisces? Would the same spasms shoot up my fingertips, brush past the lines on my palms, race through my arms and cause my heart to swell in painful adoration as they did when I'd locked hands with Pisces? Would the feelings be even more intense?

Or would they be lost in a sea of thoughts, of mindless adoration, of shallow obsession, and sink into the very ice below my feet? 

Would I be floating, in much the way I was in Pisces' arms, if it were Leo who held me close? Would I lose myself in such an ethereal grace, in much the way I was losing myself at the present time, when I found myself inches from his face like I was from Pisces'?

"There. You're getting it." The winter breeze prickled against my skin, Pisces' loving embrace being the only thing blocking the harsh cold. "I guess I am," I murmured, giving up the last ounce of control I clung to so desperately, so adamantly, with such arduous conviction and devotion as I pressed my lips against Pisces'.

It was perfect.

It really was perfect.

It excited me, overwhelmed me, intrigued me. I found myself devoid of all thoughts, lacking in all logic and reason, arms around his  neck, his hands on my waist. I felt him respond, surprised, as he kissed me back, a soft smile on his lips. It felt destined. Like a dream. 

Except he's not the one who I dream of. 

But, then again, dreams didn't always come true, did they?

Smiling, I deepened the kiss, my skates slowly stabilising on the ice.