39

LEO

"Bye, Mama," I called, striding confidently toward my car. Today was the day. Today was the day I finally took Libra out on a real date and asked her to be my girlfriend. I was ready, and nothing could stop me. Starting the car, I zoomed off, mentally psyching myself up. Libra had told me that we were just friends many, many times, but occasionally, she slipped up and gave me hope for us. That was what kept me going. Varsity High came up in front of me as I parked my car, my friends passing around a ball by the gates. I continued walking, determined to ask Libra out before first period.

"Scorpio, you know I care, but we can't be together right now."

"Why not, Libra? What's stopping you?" I stopped in my tracks, placing my ear to the door of the janitor's closet. 

"Everything is stopping me, Scorpio! Like the fact that the last time we were together, you ended up in a coma. Like the fact that we're both damaged goods. We just... we don't work out, Scorpio!"

"We'll make it work, Libra! It was always meant to be you and me, it's fate..."

"I don't believe in fate." She sighed.

"Not anymore." Scorpio groaned, frustrated.

"Stop making excuses! I know you want this too-why are you so stubborn?"

"I could ask you the same thing! You've got some stupid fairytale fantasy sequence in your head, and you're just not letting it go! Snap out of it!"

"I will not 'snap out of it!' One of needs to know that we were meant to be-"

"Listen to yourself, Scorpio! What are you, some sort of Prince Charming?"

"That's not even a part of this discussion-"

"Well, I don't remember Prince Charming smoking or taking drugs or getting high or-"

"Why do you always have to be like this? Why are you so unfeeling?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe it's because I'm a bit on edge after our last two breakups!"  

"It's not that hard, Libra! You just need to let me in-"

"It's the same thing every time! It's pathetic! You're always going on and on with your 'let me in, let me in' crap! What if I don't want to let you in anymore? I can't do it anymore, Scorpio! I want to believe that our relationship is lovely and calm and simple, but it's not! Look at what we're doing right now, Scorpio!"

"Libra, I get it! We fight, we argue, we fizzle. But you and I... we never give up. You know you're in love with me."

"Scorpio-"

"I told you I loved you because I do, Libra! I need you and me together!"

"Scorpio-"

"I meant it, Libra! And look, I'm prepared to take things slow, but it's going to be you and me in the end. We both know it. So just stop denying-"

"SCORPIO!"

"What?"

"We aren't alone." 

The door swung open, and out stepped Libra, fuming. Scorpio was frowning at her from behind. "Oh, of course the quarterback is eavesdropping," he mumbled, glaring at me. Libra turned around, an absolute blur. 

"Do you ever shut up?" she shouted, her finger on his chest.

"Do you ever shut up, Libra?"

"Oh, you little-"

"What are you going to say, huh?"

"I-"

"Exactly."