6

Taurus

"Scorpio, explain what she meant by the river." Aries stepped forwards. Scorpio sighed. "The river, that's why she dumped me." He looked into the distance. Aries stepped closer to him. "What happened in the river, Scorpio? Don't try to get around it-I'm too smart for your little games." Scorpio sighed, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "Okay. Fine. I ran into some trouble with a gang last year. I was out with Libra. We were just enjoying the ride when the gang came up behind me.

"They rounded me up to a cliff, threatening to kill Libra if I didn't hold up my end of the bargain to them. I remember how scared she was, how betrayed she looked... Well, I knew I couldn't do anything-it was either guarantee myself a life in prison or watch the girl I love die." He looked at the ground. "The cliff was next to a river. It was at least fifty metres below the edge of the cliff." Sagittarius let out a gasp, as did I. 

"I made her jump. Told her I'd come right after. But when I was about to jump, the gang caught me and I had no choice but to surrender. They tortured me ruthlessly for 48 hours before letting me out. It felt like every bone in my body was broken when I saw Libra again. And that's when she broke my heart." The story sank in slowly but surely. He made her jump off a cliff. The thought just kept on circling around my mind.

Finally Sagittarius stepped forward, his face red on account of the anger he felt. "YOU JERK! YOU NEARLY GOT MY BEST FRIEND KILLED! SHE COULD'VE DIED, JUMPING OFF THAT CLIFF! WOULD YOU HAVE CARED? EVEN GIVEN A DAMN? NO, BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO BUSY SAVING YOURSELF!" Sagittarius took ragged breaths. "And don't give us that crap about loving her, you slimy opportunist."

With that, Sagittarius turned, walking away. Aquarius followed, leaving Gemini, Sagittarius and I. Gemini stepped forward. "I.... have some questions." Scorpio grunted. "Shoot," he sighed. "Well, first of all, why wee you involved with a gang?" Scorpio sighed. "I had to bargain with them to let my little sister loose." Gemini's expression softened. "Well, then you were just in a bad situation. Still doesn't make it right for you to make her jump to her potential death, though." 

Scorpio nodded. "I love her so much. I don't think I'll ever stop loving her. I just wish I had a second chance." Gemini put a hand on Scorpio's shoulder, showing a surprising amount of maturity. "We all wish for those." She turned to me. Hey, you wanna come with me?" I nodded, not daring to acknowledge Scorpio as we walked past. Gemini turned to me. "That.... was seriously the scariest thing ever. I mean, imagine having to jump off a cliff for someone!" I nodded, too shocked to speak. 

"I mean, I would also break up with someone if they made me jump like that. In fact, I'd never want to see them again." I thought of all the times Libra had still tried to be friends with Scorpio, and how he'd rejected all her advances. Of how strong she must have been to get over it so fast. "But I admire Libra for being so brave," Gemini mused, voicing my thoughts. "I mean, not everyone can get over something like that." She scrunched up her nose. "Scratch that-nobody can get over something like that."

Gemini looked down at the ground. "You know, I always thought Libra was too fast to get over things." I looked down at my fingers. "Like, she decided to ditch me in fifth grade and never looked back." I paused. "But I guess that's a good thing this time round, huh?" Gemini nodded, deep in thought. "Well!" Gemini said. "I just lost my ride-better go hail a cab!" She raced off through the dreary weather, leaving me by myself. 

I drove home, my mind still reeling from the past events.