i. reputations and expectations

"YOU'VE GOT EVERYTHING, DON'T YOU?" uncle mercutio questioned his niece as they stood on the bustling platform of 9 and 3/4, where all the hogwarts students were awaiting their departure

paris nodded. "yes, uncle. i've got everything."

"books, robes, wand?"

"yes, everything." she smiled, before mercutio gave her a big hug goodbye and she got onto the train.

mercutio had been paris lovelace's guardian for as long as she could remember. her muggle father left before she was born, upon discovering that paris' mother, odessa lovelace, was a witch. her mother later then died in a house fire when paris was only a toddler; although, it was speculated that she had initiated the fire.

the brunette found herself an empty compartment, quickly snapping it up before any others could, and sliding the door closed.

she wasn't in her slytherin robes yet, still clothed in a grey sweater and mom jeans to keep her from falling-ill from the bitter autumn weather.

the girl thought it would be best to indulge herself in a good book as the hogwarts express moved steadily north. the scenery outside the window became wilder and darker while the clouds overhead thickened.

it was probably around two o'clock when paris' page-turning was interrupted by the squeaking of the trolley witch's cart wheels.
she was quite peckish so she turned her book over and laid it onto the seat to keep her place— not wanting to crease the pages. she wandered down the threshold to meet the trolley witch, who was speaking to a few students in the end compartment, who she immediately recognised to be harry potter, ron weasley and hermione granger.

"don't worry, dear," the witch said, referring to the sleeping professor that was slumped up against the frosted window. "if he's hungry when he wakes, i'll be up front with the driver."