xxvii. the dinner party

     "I WARNED HER! I WARNED HER NOT TO TOUCH IT!" leanne screamed shrilly at katie's frail body that was sprawled across the frozen slush

suddenly, katie rose into the air, her arms outstretched, as though she was a dummy being pulled by an invisible string.

the five of them stood in shock, shaking in fear as katie shrieked loudly, her hair waving around in the cold winter air.

she then landed with a thud, back into the snow, her head writhing around as if she was having a seizure.

"get back! get back, all of ye!" hagrid yelled over the raging wind, moving towards katie. he scooped her up into his arms, before turning to harry, who was moving to investigate the package. "don't touch that! only the wrappings!" he bent down to move the brown sheet, revealing a strange-looking necklace.

"YOU'RE SURE KATIE DID NOT HAVE this in her possession when she entered the three broomsticks?" professor mcgonnagall asked leanne, who was still shaken up.

the sleet splattered windows were rattling in their frames.

"it's like i said." leanne began. "she left to go to the loo, and when she came back, she had the package. she said it was important that she deliver it."

"did she say to whom?"

"...to professor dumbledore."

"very well. thank you, leanne, you may go.." mcgonnagall breathed in. she turned to harry, ron, hermione and paris. "why is it that when something happens, it is always you three?" she sighed. "and now you've dragged miss lovelace along in your mess?"

"believe me professor, i've been asking myself the same question for six years." ron mumbled.

professor snape raised the necklace with his wand, examining it carefully.