xxxiii. everything is changing

  "ALL THIS TIME, HERMIONE! ALL THIS TIME!" paris shouted, her hand bashing into the wall as tears pricked into the corners of her eyes

"ALL THIS TIME, HERMIONE! ALL THIS TIME!" paris shouted, her hand bashing into the wall as tears pricked into the corners of her eyes. "all my life, i thought my mother killed herself. that she left this earth at her own will. and she was murdered. by a deatheater." she paused, turning to her girlfriend. "you know, at eight years old, i used to lie awake at night— wondering if i was the reason she committed suicide. i wondered if she didn't want me— or if my dad, whoever the fuck he was, drove her to the edge. made her want to end it all." she took a sharp breath, jaw twitching. "and none of it was true."

hermione wrapped her arms around her, noticing her pain. "i'm so sorry, paris. i'm so sorry." she kept repeating softly, hands sliding though the girl's brown hair.

"the fire— it must've jogged her memory or something.." she shrugged.

"DO YOU THINK HE WOULD'VE DONE IT? DRACO?" hermione asked. the four friends had gathered at the astronomy tower the next morning, just as the sun was beginning to go down, casting an orange light across the sky. dumbledore's death the night before had caused a great stir, especially since he was killed by professor snape.

"no." harry shook his head. "no, he was lowering his wand."

paris had been quite shocked to find out draco was almost the one to kill dumbledore. she knew him and his sister had been up to something, but she never thought of it to be something so severe. she had been friends with them since she was eleven— it was quite unsettling.

"in the end it was snape. it was always snape." harry breathed in, his hands clutching the railing. "and i did nothing." he passed the locket horcrux into hermione's hands. "it's fake. open it."

hermione did so, clicking it open and pulling out an old sheet of parchment. "to the dark lord. i know i will be dead by the time you read this, but i want you to know that it was i who discovered your secret. i have stolen the real horcrux in an attempt to destroy it as soon as i can. i face death, in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. signed, r.a.b." she frowned. "r.a.b?"

"i don't know." harry shrugged. "but whoever they are, they have the real horcrux. which means it was all a waste. all of it."

paris and ron were sat closer in from the edge, their heads hung to the metal flooring. "i'm really sorry about your mum, paris." the boy said, looking up at his friend.

     paris shrugged— her eyes were dark and tear stained. "it's consolation, i suppose." she sighed. "she did love me. just like my uncle said. but now, the question is: whoever killed her... are they still looking for me? i mean, he obviously didn't complete the job. i'm still alive, and so is my uncle. trelawaney said the dark lord won't be fulfilled with their loyalty to him until i'm dead and my uncle is too."

"so you want to find out who it was, then?"

"of course. i won't rest until i do."

"ron's okay with it, you know." hermione told harry. "you and ginny." she glanced back at ron and paris who were conversing quietly. "if i were you, when he's around, i'd keep the snogging to a minimum." she smiled.

harry chuckled a little, but then his face went stoic. "i'm not coming back, hermione. i've got to finish whatever dumbledore started. and i don't know where that'll lead me, but i'll let all three of you know where i am, when i can."

"i've always admired your courage, harry." hermione nodded, hair waving in the wind. "but sometimes you can be really thick. you don't really think you can find all those horcruxes by yourself, do you? you need us, harry."

paris got up from her seat, with ron following after her, approaching the pair. "all we've got is eachother. we've got to stick together."

"paris needs our help, too." ron nodded. "we've got to find who killed her mother."

"whoever it was— i'm gonna find him. and when i do, i'm gonna kill him." paris settled, her teeth clenched slightly. "before he kills me... or my uncle..."

"we're here for you." harry nodded solemnly, and hermione clutched her girlfriend's hand, the four friends all looking out at the horizon for the last time.

"i've never realised how beautiful this place is."

fawkes, dumbldore's phoenix flew through the air, cawing.

"nothing's going to be the same now, is it?"