Chapter 11 Reasonable doubt

Start from the beginning

"You don't know anything," Tim growled.

"Don't worry," Allison said casually, "I didn't tell Val."

Tim scoffed. "Don't touch my stuff again." He walked out of the room

Allison sighed and turned to her desk. Midterms were a killer. She still didn't understand half the things she was learning, though studying with Eric was helping, if only a little.

Staring at her textbook, her thoughts drifted off. She wondered what Trevor wanted to discuss with her. Probably the fact that she still didn't find a physical therapist. She wasn't sure what the big deal was, but she knew she wasn't going to win this discussion. There would be consequences if she didn't comply. And she knew she wasn't going to like those consequences.

Allison sighed again and pushed her book away. She couldn't concentrate. Tim's actions bothered her more than she was willing to admit. She wasn't that far away from where she used to live and she didn't need her past catching up with her.

This time it would surely kill her.

...

It was dark when Allison opened the door to her room and peeked outside. The children had already gone to bed and there was no Valerie in sight.

Quietly Allison made her way down the hall towards Valerie's office. It was the only phone she had access too since she didn't have her own.

Valerie kept her office under lock and key, but it only took Allison a few seconds to gain entrance. She flipped through Valerie's old fashioned rolodex until she found the number she needed and made the call.

It took a while before the call was answered by a drowsy sounding Trevor. "Hello?"

"You need to get me out of here," Allison said.

A groan and a yawn sounded on the other end. "Who is this?"

"Trevor I'm serious."

"What time is it?" Trevor asked groggily. There was some rustling in the background. "It's two in the morning. Can't this wait?"

"Wake up, Trevor. You need to find me somewhere else to live."

"Ally? Is that you?"

"Don't call me that!" Allison hissed. She was losing her patience fast.

"Trev?" a voice sounded in the background, "what's going on?"

Trevor sighed. "Nothing, honey. Go back to sleep. It's just work." There was more rustling and Allison could hear a door open and close. "Why are you calling me in the middle of the night?" Trevor asked, still half asleep, "what's going on?"

"I need to go live somewhere else," Allison said again.

Trevor sighed. "We've talked about this, Allison. Dandelion is an excellent home and it has the facilities you need."

"It ain't about that," Allison cut him off, "this... it's just... there's people butting in my life. People ask questions. They'll figure things out. And one of the kids livin' here... I think he's a drug runner. I think it best we pack up and leave now. There gotta be another place. There's always been another place."

"What?" Trevor asked confused and sleepily. "What are you even talking about? It's the middle of the night, Ally. Don't you have midterms? Go to sleep. I'm picking you up from school later. Did Valerie not tell you?"

"Are you even listening?!" Allison hissed annoyed, "do you want people to find me?"

Trevor sighed. "He won't find you, Ally. He's behind bars. Will you please go to sleep? If not, will you please let me sleep? I have enough on my plate right now."