Chapter 22 No questions asked

Tim leaned in the doorway and looked at her with a condescending smirk. "Why are you so dressed up?"

Alisson glared at him. It wasn't as if she liked these stupid clothes. Dress pants, a blouse and a jacket. If it were up to her, she wouldn't be found dead in it, but she needed to look presentable in the courtroom. The more she looked like a model citizen, the higher the chances of the jury sympathizing with her instead of Vincent. Trevor had drilled it into a long time, how to talk, what to say. Her head was spinning with information and her hands were already clammy with sweat. "Why ain't you at school?" she growled at Tim.

He shrugged casually. "Some teacher study thing. I'm not complaining."

"Then go hang with your pot-smoking friends," Alisson hissed, "leave me alone."

Tim smirked and pushed away from the all. "You should practice being nicer, Alisson. You do want the judge to like you, right?"

"What would you know about that?" Alisson glared, but she did not receive an answer.

She watched him as he waked towards the kitchen. Lately he had been more hostile, especially after the night Kai had driven her home. She wasn't sure why, but it bothered her.

She took a deep breath and cast one last glance at herself in the mirror.

A stranger was staring back at her.

A knock on the door made her look up. Valerie smiled at her kindly. "Trevor is here to pick you up, honey. You look beautiful."

As if she was going on a date or something. Alisson resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

Valerie cupped Alisson's face and kissed her forehead. "Good luck, sweetheart."

Alisson gave a stiff nod and went to meet with Trevor. He, too was dressed for court, in a business suit and a tie. When he saw her, he offered her a smile. "Ready to go?"

"No," Alisson answered stiffly, "can I change my mind and stay home?"

"No," Trevor said firmly, "this isn't optional. You were subpoenaed as a witness. You have to be there." He sighed. "It's going to be fine, Ally. He won't hurt you. He is being heavily guarded. You'll be using different entrances to the courtroom. You won't be alone with him."

Alisson gritted her teeth and rolled past him to the door. "That ain't the issue. I don' wanna be in a room with him at all. He may not be able to hurt me, but he still has friends who can. And don't call me Ally."

Trevor sighed and ran a hand across his face. This day was going the be a trial in more than one way.

...

"You remember what to say?"

Chase gave a nervous nod as Archer fixed the collar of his shirt and also his tie.

"Breathe, son," Archer said kindly. He pressed the boy's shoulder. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

Chase took a deep breath and shakily breathed out again. "I'm sure," he said, "he'll only use it as an excuse to accuse you of pitting me against him. I'm emancipated now. I have to stand up for myself instead of letting others fight my battles." He looked at Archer. "I don't want to give him the satisfaction."

Archer nodded in understanding and patted Chase's cheek. "I'm proud of you, son, no matter the outcome today. Don't let him talk you down, you hear me. The time he had that power over you is gone. You've grown so much, Chase."

Chase could feel his face heat up. "Cut it out, Archer."

Archer chuckled. "Alright, I won't embarrass you any further. You should get going. You don't want to be late. Is your uncle picking you up?"