4: Jealousy

Y/n's POV
My neck was 'snapped' and I fell into Jon Rua's arms, then being dragged off stage and becoming the symbol of death.

As Right Hand Man started, Daveed quickly raced by me, grazing his hand on my hip and winking before walking off stage. I blushed a bit and looked around, seeing a smirking Rafa in the corner of the green room. I stuck my tongue out at him then raced back out on stage.

The first act of the show went by in a blur. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been any mishaps yet, and I hope there won't be any. As I pulled on my heels for the second act, a knock sounded at the door. "Come in!" I called. The door opened and Daveed strutted in, wearing all magenta. I laughed at his cocky demeanor and went back to strapping on the black heels.

"You have to wear heels?!" Daveed yelped as he sat down next to me. "Yep." I chuckled as I sat back up and looked at the clock, 10 minutes left of intermission. "And you do that kick thing?! And dance all around the stage?!" Daveed gawked at me. I shrugged. "I had to dance around a stage wearing 4 inch heels and a black jumpsuit that wasn't flexible at all." I chuckled. "Ok, never comparing my problems to yours." Daveed chuckled to himself. I laughed.

Daveed and I talked the whole intermission. I looked at the wall and saw we had 2 minutes till places. I placed a finger over my lips signaling him to not talk. I silently walked over to the door and opened it, making the whole cast fall in. "Hello." I greeted with a chuckle. They immediately started to all get up off the ground and explain themselves but a stage hand cut them off. "You guys need to get to places. Now." She told us in a demanding tone.

Immediately we all went to the stage, Daveed and I going up to behind the rafters. "Break a leg, Diggs." I smiled over at him. "Break a leg, Y/n." He smiled back.

"Seventeen.. Se- Se- Seventeen." The ensemble sang. "Se- Se- Seventeen." I sang as I winked at Daveed and walked out onto the rafter, going down the right stair case.

"1789. How does the bastard, orphan, immigrant, decorated war vet, unite the colonies through more debt? Fight the other founding fathers til he has to forfeit? Have it all, lose it all.." Leslie sang as I hurried down the stairs and gracefully made my way to where I was supposed to start.

"You ready for more yet? Treasury Secretary. Washington's the President. Ev'ry American experiment sets a precedent. Not so fast, someone came along to resist him! Pissed him off until we had a two-party system. You haven't met him yet, you haven't had the chance. 'Cause he's been kickin' ass as the ambassador to France! But someone's gotta keep the American promise, you simply must meet Thomas. Thomas!" Leslie sang, Daveed walking out on stage, the crowd immediately irrupting into cheers.

"Thomas Jefferson's coming home!" The ensemble and I sang, repeating it a few times.
"Thomas Jefferson's coming home. Lord he's been off in Paris for so long!" We sang as Daveed made his way down the stairs slowly. "Aaa-ooo!" We sang as some ensemble members got in a line, others going backstage, and me going to lean against a wooden poll, waiting to read Mr Thomas Jefferson's letter.

Daveed strutted down the line of people then shuffled his shuffle across the stage. "There's a letter on my desk from the President.. haven't even put my bag down yet." Daveed chuckled as I held a piece of paper, waiting to open it and do the shimmy Daveed and I made for this part. "Sally, be a lamb, darlin', won'tcha open it?" Daveed sang as we made our way to each other and I unfolded the piece of paper. 

"It says the president's assembling a cabinet, and that I'm to be the Secretary of State, great!" Daveed sang as we danced around in a circle. "And that I'm already Senate-approved!" Daveed sang as we did our little shimmy dance with each other.

The rest of the show flew by. But time seemed to go back to normal speed when Blow Us All Away started.

Daveed and I were hanging backstage seeing as neither of us were supposed to be on stage before. We were having a normal conversation until that first whistle note hit, he immediately tensed up and glared out on stage. "What's wrong?" I asked. He shook his head. "You should head out. Your gonna miss your cue." He growled. "Oh shit." I yelped before running up next to Sasha.

Sasha and I walked out and hung by the stairs waiting for Anthony to walk over to us.

"Ladies, I'm lookin for a Mr. George Eacker. Made a speech last week, our Fourth of July speaker. He disparaged my father's legacy in front of a crowd, I can't have that, I'm making my father proud." Anthony smirked at us.

"I saw him just up Broadway, a couple of blocks, he was going to see a play." I informed him, placing a hand on his chest. "Well I'll go visit his box." Anthony smiled, placing a hand on my hip. "God, you're a fox!" Sasha giggled. "And y'all look pretty good in ya' frocks, how about when I get back we all strip down to our socks." Anthony smirked at both of us. "Ooh!" I laughed. "Ok!" Sasha giggled along with me as we walked off stage together.

I walked back up to Daveed and smiled. "How am I doing?" I asked. He looked down at me then just walked off. I turned around, following him with my eyes, confused as to what I did wrong. I turned back around and looked around the room to see if anyone saw. Rafa, Renée, and Lin saw. "What'd I do?" I asked. "Nothing." Renée told me immediately. "You're doing great, Y/n." Lin smiled before they both walked off. "Please tell me." I sighed as I sat down next to Rafa. "I would.. I really would but I'd be a pretty shit friend if I did tell you." Rafa sighed. "Oh.." I mumbled. "That's alright." I sighed walking to my dressing room only to see Lafayette standing there sadly.

"Laf! I told you not to come!" I whined. "I haven't been here the whole time. I promise." He told me, placing his hand on his heart. "I just felt that you were sad and a little confused. "What's going on?" Lafayette asked me as we sat down on the couch.

"Mon amie, he's jealous.." Lafayette chuckled. "Of what?" I asked. "He wants to be.. Anthony.. oui that's his name, in that moment." Lafayette smiled at me.

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, number ten, paces fire!" The ensemble chorused as I ran up to Leslie's prop gun and held nothing but air as I slowly made my way to Lin as he performed the inner dialogue.

Thoughts ran through my head, a million miles her hour as I was carried through the air. This musical could change someone's life. This musical is making Broadway history.. Can I handle it? To name a few.

"Rise up, rise up, rise up, Eliza!" Lin sang as I was quickly set back down on the ground and gently pushed into someone's arms. I assumed it was Thayne by how gentle he was as he held his hands around my waist. Whoever is holding me usually switched during practice so I've had to memorize how soft or rough someone is while we're standing still.

"My love take your time.." Lin whimpered. "I'll see you on the other side." He sighed as Phillipa walked off stage. "Raise a glass to freedom." Lin sung as time suddenly sped up and I was running towards him, making it seem like the bullet went through his chest as Leslie yelped. I quickly ran off stage and walked backwards a bit, only to run into someone.

"Sorry." I whispered as I turned around to see Daveed. He just looked down at me again before walking off, causing tears to form in my eyes. Why couldn't Lafayette be at least a little more clear. I thought to myself as I walked further backstage and waited.

Though my mic was on and I had to sing the soft 'ahh's' and 'Eliza's', I was pretty much completely out of it. When it was time for bows, I briskly walked back on stage and stood at the very end next to Thayne where almost no one could see me. I sighed as we bowed and walked off stage, me immediately running to the dressing room and grabbing my clothes before heading to a bathroom where I had a bit more privacy.

After changing out of my costume into my black leather pants and a white crop top with my leather jacket, I walk out of the bathroom into someone, again. I looked up at whoever it was, just to see Daveed. Again. I started at him for a second before walking off to the door to the parking lot. I grabbed my helmet and walking outside, flipping my leg over the bike and pulling my helmet on. I turned my bike on and walked it to the exit. After I saw no cars coming, I drove out into the traffic.

I've been riding around for hours, trying to forget the real world. The show, my ancestors, what I could have possibly done to make Daveed the slightest bit jealous, and why Daveed wasn't talking to me. I sighed, realizing a night ride wasn't going to help my turning thoughts.

I rode back to my apartment and locked my bike in place and walked up the stairs. "Driving around for hours. Long day?" Angelica observed as soon as I walked through the door. I sighed and nodded. "Get to bed. We'll always be here tomorrow." Lafayette smiled at me. I nodded and turned on my heel and walked away.

The rest of the week is going to be a nightmare..

1716 words!