Mason Industries (1)

Note: I would like to pre-apologise that there is a fair bit of Wyatt going on in this ep (There's still everyone else and Garcy, this ep is a turning point for most ships ig). But apparently I have to 'remember that Wyatt exists' and 'follow your actual plot, Spiwrit'. Plus non-complete-asshole Wyatt is kind of growing on me... Yes, I admit it, I know...

---

When I get lonely I dream of the valley
Kid shifting gears in a '63 Chevy
Muscadine vines and the maple trees catching the wind
It's one of those days where I want to be little again

It's one of those days when you wake up in some broken city
With nothing but home on your mind

- Little Again, The Secret Sisters.

A shrill bell ring signalling the end of the day filled the long hallways of a beaten-down highschool. Kids in '00s fashion all eagerly chatting burst out of their classrooms and flooded the hall. A young boy who'd skipped last period leaned against his locker - plain, except for a fist-shaped dent - and watched them all from under his sandy fringe. A couple of the tougher looking boys stopped to say bye and he greeted them as friends, but he still stayed stuck there, waiting for someone.
In the sea of people, a girls arm stuck up through the crowd. "Wyatt!"

Wyatt's face lit up at her voice. The girl elbowed her way out of the stream and bounced up to his side. She was blonde, and wore a tank top with jeans that hitched up to show her dirtied sneakers. "What'd you get?"

Wyatt pulled out a crumpled report card from his pocket with a haughty sigh. "Nothing I'm showing my dad."

She studied it. "Hey, a B in P.E. You didn't do bad in history, either."

He stuffed it back into his jeans. "What use is history?"
He peered over at the report card in her hands. "What about you?"

"Not great," she sighed, and showed it to him. Neatly printed at the top was Jessica Brown. He scoffed.

"Okay, Miss As and Bs."

"It still can't beat out Sarah, or Amanda, or perfect Miracle Kevin," Jessica said bitterly.

Wyatt put an arm around her shoulders and rubbed up and down her arm. "You'll be fine."

She leaned her head on Wyatt's shoulder. "Thanks."

Some kid behind them yelled,
"Get a room!"
So Wyatt and Jessica both turned to give them a middle finger at the same time.

They left the school with glee. When they reached the end of the path, relishing in the freedom of the sprawling weekend that lay before them, Wyatt spotted a greyish, blondish haired woman with a mole on her lip wave at Jessica. He squinted. He'd seen her around, but never long enough to remember her face... "Who's that?"

"My... Mom's friend."

Wyatt grinned. "Ditch 'em."

"I can't do that!"

It only took a look from Wyatt to convince her to do exactly that. He tugged her through a leafy shortcut that took them right through to the next street. A Chevy was parked on the dusty ground. Wyatt hopped proudly on the hood and patted the car. Jessica immediately recognised it as his dad's beloved car and stepped back. "You didn't."

"Fancy a ride?"

"Wyatt, you'll get in so much trouble! Your dad!"

"So what?"

Jessica stepped towards him and brushed his cheekbone, which had a shiny, rosy coloured mark across the length of it. "He hit you damn hard last time."

He shrugged her off and swallowed the feelings that rose up in him at the reminder of the pain. "It won't matter once I'm gone."