I, Anne Boleyn (2)

Just a warning, there is a potential trigger warning for mentions of domestic abuse in one scene in this chapter. There will be a ⚠️ before and after the scene so when you see it you can scroll from one to the next if you don't want to read it. ♥

---

You love who you love
Common sense may say it's wrong

There's a part of him you know is wild
Maybe that's what made you love him all along

- You Love Who You Love, Laura Osnes & Melissa Van Der Schyff

"You said you saw her here?"

"You see that window in-between the two trees? She was in that corridor." Leaves rustled as Amy ducked back down behind the palace garden hedge and turned to her side, where Flynn was crouched in his Tudor garb - which included hose she couldn't help but laugh at. "What do we do?"

Flynn looked grim. "If Emma's finally showed up in the palace, then something's going down."

"I don't know. She wasn't in a hurry or anything. It was kind of like she was... Looking for something."

On her other side, Rufus frowned in concentration. "Looking for something?"

"Or someone?" Amy floated.

"Who would Emma be looking for in Tudor England?"

The answer hit all three of them at the same time.
"A sleeper."

Amy shifted, suddenly anxious. "I thought they used all the sleepers."

"That we know of," Rufus said ominously, but Flynn firmly disagreed.

"They could have had all the sleepers they wanted, but then I got in the way."

"Ah," Rufus nodded seriously. "You clockblocked them."

Amy snorted and Flynn held in his laugh/sigh. "My point is it's possible this thing Emma's looking for is the last sleeper. A fragile point in history means they're less likely to activate them until they're desperate. Which, if you've seen Emma recently..."

"She's just unhinged enough to blow it all up," Amy breathed. Rufus stayed quiet for a moments before suggesting,
"What if we found the sleeper before Emma did? I met a sleeper in the eighties who wasn't even loyal to Rittenhouse, so maybe we could find them first and then change their minds-"

"You're so optimistic it's disgusting," Flynn countered bluntly. "I say we find the sleeper first, and then we shoot him, or her, in the head."

"We?"

Amy cleared her throat, interrupting their squabble. "You're both ignoring the fact that we're in the 16th century. That means no tech, no surviving records, nothing. If there's a sleeper then we're only still here because they're lost. Emma's been looking for weeks and she's the one with the advantage here. There's no way we can find a sleeper before she can."

Rufus blinked at her. "It's a good thing we've got a Preston."

Amy smiled appreciatively. Flynn, ever thoughtful, followed on,
"If Emma's moved on to searching the Palace, then we know where she is..."

"This place is huge, though. It'd take days to search every person that lives here plus every servant and every visitor."

Flynn tapped his fingers on the grass beneath them like he was deep in thought. "Then we have time to prepare."