The Stonewall Rebellion (2)

Honey, I can't be your martyr
Maybe it's just human nature
But honey, I can't be your savior
But then you say, "Please"

- St Vincent, Savior

The inside of the Stonewall Inn was dingy and dirty. Flynn didn't expect it to be anything else; it was constantly raided by police, previously ran by the mafia, and operated without a licquor licence - it was hardly a beloved American institution. Rather, it was unpleasantly hot, loud, and crowded. But it still seemed to be treated as a haven. He observed a group of young boys (he wasn't totally sure they were even old enough to drink yet) laughing racuously in the corner. One of them held another blonde boys hand atop their table. It was quite cute, actually, despite the unpleasant smell of alcohol mixed with sweat. With the dancing, and the laughter, and the music, the whole scene was so viscerally... Human.
"I'll get drinks."

Wyatt put a hand on his chest to stop him. "Hey. I'm better at this." He pointed to himself. "Delta force, remember?"

"Uh, NSA."

"The NSA is all brains, no muscle."

Flynn scoffed. "That you know of, army boy."

"Just 'cause you settled down and took a desk job."

Flynn looked at him through thin eyes and pinched his index and thumb together. "I literally stole a time machine."

"So did I!"

"Pfff. Yeah, the Lifeboat. You know I was born before Delta Force was even a thing?"

"That's not the burn you think it is."

Flynn's lips pursed. It was beginning to look strange that they were lingering for so long. "Would you just get the damn drinks?" He snapped.

Meanwhile, he found them a table nestled in the corner that offered a good vantage of the door. Soon, officers would charge through that door and kick off chaos that would unknowingly fuel the greatest gay rights movement in American history... Man, Flynn really hadn't appreciated how stressful the task of protecting history was until he had joined the team.

Wyatt took a while to return.
"There's only one exit in this place," he informed him as he slipped onto the couch, drinks in hand.

Of course he'd gone scouting without him.
"Only one entrance then, too. That means if Emma comes in we'll see her. Though she'll probably arrive outside."

"Agreed," Wyatt said tersely. "Even she's not stupid enough to come in."

"I wouldn't call her stupid. Just-"

"Psychopathic."

"Reckless."

"Oh, so not like you at all, then," he muttered. Flynn found himself asking how bad it would really be if he were to knock his front teeth out.

"People are looking," he said instead. "We're meant to be a couple, remember? We look like we just came straight from the police station."

Wyatt scooched one single inch closer and no more.

"You're openly carrying. You're gonna need to look a little gayer than that."

He huffed and pulled his jacket over the gun. As he did so, a young man caught Wyatt's eye and smiled. Well... Clearly he looked gay enough.

"You're too intimidating," Wyatt muttered.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means smile."

It took great effort for Flynn to brush his hair back and pull on a casual smile so far from his gloomy glowering. "Is that better, honey?" He asked with strangled distaste.