The Day Reagan Was Shot

Flynn

I scare myself
With the way that I need you
There's no one else
Tell me that you can feel it too
I'd crawl through hell
If it meant that I could keep you
I scare myself

I come unraveled
When you whisper my name
My head is spinning
You make me feel insane

- Beth Crowley, I Scare Myself

Lucy is in danger. Lucy is in danger. LucyisindangerLucyisindangerLucyisindangerLucyisindangerLucyisindangerLucyisindangerLucyisindangerLucyisin-

Stop!

Flynn ran his fingers through his hair and forced himself to stand from his bed. He would get nothing done running around in circles by himself all day.

It was too quiet with everyone else gone. He hated it. And trusting all of their futures in Wyatt's hands? He hated that even more.

Reaching the communal space, he realised he wasn't the only one running around in circles, either. He'd thought Agent Christopher had already left, but here she was, obsessively clicking her pen and staring down at folders stuffed with piles of paper. Rittenhouse were currently trying to kill her in the past, erase her children, separate the entire team, and she was reading?

He folded his arms. "What exactly are you doing?"

She barely looked up but her clicking ceased. "Paperwork."

"No, I mean, what are you doing? Aren't you the least bit concerned that you're gonna be snuffed out of existence?"

"I trust the team," she said, completely level-headedly.

Flynn scoffed. He couldn't believe his ears. "What about your family?"

"If I die in '81, Michelle and I will never meet, the children - they won't even exist."

"And yet, here you sit, doing... Paperwork."

She didn't look at him.

"Wow," he said quietly, and took a few steps away. Then she turned in her seat, ruffled by his tone.

"What would you have me do?" She demanded. "Try to save myself? Or get my affairs in order? How exactly does one prepare for one's absence from the past 37 years? I have wracked my brain trying to come up with a solution but there is - there is nothing I can do."

"You're wrong."

But how to get her to realise? He knew what it was to be consumed, to feel helpless in the face of losing his family - and he wouldn't wish that on anyone, least of all Agent Christopher.

"One night, three years ago," - had it really been three years ago? - "I was putting my daughter to bed. She wanted to stay up later. Said 'ten more minutes, Daddy. Three more minutes.' As any good parent, I told her to go to sleep. I told her I'd see her in the morning. The next time I saw her, she was dead. Since that night, I've done nothing but try to change that."

"I'm sorry about that, I really am-"

"Save your pity. Do you know what I would give to have had those three more minutes with her - one more minute, one more second? So you can sit there doing paperwork and fretting about time travel rules or you can get the hell back home and look at your wife and children while you still can. I mean, it's your choice. But I sure as hell know what I would do."

Agent Christopher merely watched him, mouth quivering once. This may be the most upset he'd ever seen her.
She stood and gestured to where the Lifeboat had been a mere few hours ago.
"If they don't make it, I'm sorry for what that means for you, too."