In the end, Severance gave up and let Vast have his way. He scrunched up his face, eyes squeezed shut, and sniffled. His face was wet, both from Vast's tongue and the odd bit of moisture welling from his eyes. It couldn't be tears, as this emotionless body was incapable of crying, yet a few drops of water seemed to seep free regardless.

He couldn't quite bring himself to care very much either way.

"I'm sorry, Vast," Severance murmured, not for the first time. Vast drew back, ears twitching, and Severance took the opportunity to reach out and grab a fistful of thick silvery fur on the animal's neck. He leaned over, resting his forehead beside his hand.

"I killed him. I was stupid and useless and now he's gone. What am I supposed to do?"

Vast leaned into him, almost squashing Severance with his weight. The sound of soft panting reached Severance, and he had the fleeting worry that the back of his coat was going to be covered in drool. Ah well, it was full of holes and blood anyway. What did it matter?

"Dhin hates me now," Severance told Vast. Furry beast that he was, Vast was a good listener. "I tried to tell him I was sorry, but he just... looked at me. Like he was empty inside. And then he turned away, like I was just a piece of dirt on the ground."

That had been a dagger shoved into his chest, even though he totally deserved it. Dhin blamed him for his father's death.

It's only right, though. Severance winced. The scent of Vast filled his nose, sharp and earthy, like blood and dirt mixed with the ozone left after a thunderstorm. It wasn't the most pleasant of smells, yet he found it oddly comforting.

"I don't know what to do, Vast."

Vast growled, a low rumble that vibrated deep within his chest. Pressed against the beast's neck as he was, Severance could feel it just as well as hear it. He grew very still, suddenly worried that Vast had grown tired of his weepy rambles.

"Well," came a very familiar, calm voice, "you can start by getting up and changing your clothes."

Vast's growl grew marginally louder.

"Oh relax, you furball. Sev, tell your creature to calm down, will you?"

Severance drew back from Vast's wonderfully soft fur and swiped at his eyes. Then he leaned around Vast to peek at the person who'd approached them.

"Hi, Maun."

Maun looked at him. Then shook his head slowly. "Yeah, I thought so. You're a mess."

Severance just stared back at him. How could Maun act so calm and normal when the murderer of his clansman was right here?

Vast's growling dropped to a soft, barely-there rumble, and he took the opportunity to lick the side of Severance's face.

Maun watched, both of his eyebrows lifting. "Now that's kind of disturbing. I'm not sure if he's trying to comfort you or is just enjoying the taste of blood."

"What?" What was Maun talking about?

The clansman muttered something under his breath, then stepped closer. Vast bared his teeth at Maun, growl suddenly growing louder, but Maun didn't seem bothered by the threat. He merely stretched out a hand to Severance.

"Come on. There's something you need to see, but you can't go looking like that."

Severance eyed the hand curiously, wondering about whether he should take it, but then decided that anything had to be better than just sitting here pouring out his miserable heart to Vast. Even if Vast was a good listener. And if Maun decided to take him into the forest and stab him a few dozen times, then so be it. He deserved it.