Wattpad Original
There are 22 more free parts

Chapter 61

"So, what are we doing?"

Awesome Dude crouched, bouncing lightly as if it was physically impossible for him to keep still. From what Severance had seen, it probably was.

The two of them were currently hidden behind a large boulder, not far from the northern bridge of Two Bridges. Anyone patrolling the city walls or traveling on the road wouldn't be able to see them.

This was greatly aided by the fact that nightfall was upon them. Soon, the last traces of daylight would vanish. In Severance's opinion, the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

"We," he said, keeping his voice low, "are going to sneak into the city and see if we can find anything about the Valkyrie."

"Oooh." The Shade's eyes went round.

"That means we have to go in and stay quiet. The goal is to not get caught, okay?"

The Shade nodded. "Right."

Severance squinted at his friend. He wondered if he was making a mistake by asking for Awesome Dude's help. The guy wasn't exactly subtle at the best of times. But... he was a Shade. Shades were supposed to be the best sneaks in the game.

"To be on the safe side, though, if you get caught, teleport to Tomorrow's Edge. We'll meet up by the fountain."

"Got it." Awesome Dude nodded again.

Severance peered around the rock. The city gates were open a crack, but they were guarded by four heavily-armored Chosen warriors. Lit torches on posts cast flickering yellow light over the area, chasing away the growing shadows.

"Hmm." Severance tapped his chin. This might be a little harder than he thought. There was only a narrow entry into the city, and with the four guards right in front of it, it was going to take a small miracle to get past them.

Or a distraction. That gave him an idea.

"Dude, do you think you can-?"

"Hey!" Awesome Dude stood up, nearly giving Severance a heart attack. "Let's just follow those guys in."

He pointed at a group of players coming up on the road. They looked like a full team of five and all had a red cloth tied around their arms.

"Follow them?" Severance hissed. "Are you crazy?"

There was no way the guards or the players wouldn't notice them on the spot! He tried to grab his friend, intending to pull him back down out of sight.

Awesome Dude turned away, going just out of Severance's reach. "System, Inventory."

In the next instant, two bundles of red cloth appeared in his hands. He tossed one at Severance. "Tie that on your arm, Sev. Hurry, we have to catch them."

"That's not-!"

"Hurry up!" The Shade twisted the cloth and tied it around his forehead. He did it so quickly that it was obvious he'd done it many times before.

Severance sighed. He wrapped the cloth around his bicep and tried to knot it, a difficult maneuver with one hand. Awesome Dude came over to help. With a few deft movements, he tied it and pulled it up to cover the clan marking on Severance's upper arm.

"There! Now let's go."

He took off before Severance could even blink. With no moon and only a few stars out, it was a perfect night for sneaking. Awesome Dude moved like a ghost, a wisp of smoke dashing over the rocky ground.

Severance gritted his teeth and ran after his friend. There was no time to hesitate. A quick whisper brought one of his war fans out of Inventory, as he wasn't about to face probable death empty-handed.