Wattpad Original
There are 32 more free parts

Chapter 51

This wasn't exactly how Severance wanted to revisit Ascendance. He would have preferred to slip through the crowds as one of many, an inconspicuous player who blended in with everyone else. That way no one noticed him, no one looked at him, and no one bothered him. That was how he liked it.

But this—this couldn't have been more the opposite!

He had to keep one hand gripping Vast's scruff, as he was worried that the vastlhidan would take offense to anyone that got too close. Vast kept his ears back and lip curled, revealing glistening fangs. He rumbled softly, the sound practically vibrating through his entire body.

At least people were smart enough to get out of the way. A narrow path opened up for them, creating a gauntlet of stares and chatter.

"Hey, where'd you get him?"
"I want one too!"
"Wanna do a trade?"
"Let's be friends, yeah?"
"Ha, must be a rich clan."
"Hey, sis, you ever see those people before?"
"You guys taking new players?"

Severance was tempted to match Vast's rumbling growl with one of his own. He was nearly as tense, too.

"It's quite lively today," Maun commented. He wore a faint smile, appearing perfectly relaxed as if having a morning stroll through the woods.

Batin was much the same. Or at least, as far as Severance could tell since it was hard to read the mysterious clansman at the best of times. Still, he hadn't missed how both Veiled kept him in between them, nor how they remained fairly close. Like Vast, they were on guard. Something strange was going on because even for the Veiled, this was excessive.

Keeping his voice low, Severance asked, "What exactly happened in Two Bridges?"

"It's been taken over," Maun answered, equally as quiet. "A joint force between the Chosen and Traders. The Valkyrie didn't stand a chance."

Severance's stomach sank. The Chosen had been attacking the city of bridges for a while, but the Valkyrie had always presented a strong resistance. Never once had he actually thought they'd fail.

"Did the Valkyrie..." No. He didn't even want to go down that train of thought. "What happened to the survivors?"

"We don't know for certain. Only the Outsiders affiliated with the Valkyrie have been seen since. As for the Valkyries themselves... they could be in hiding."

Could be, huh? It wasn't a very heartening statement. He wanted to help them if he could, but he didn't know the full situation.

"Has anyone been inside Two Bridges since then?"

Maun turned his head and fixed with him a look. "The only people who can safely venture into the city now are the Chosen and Traders. Don't even think about going there, Severance."

Severance nodded, though inwardly he wondered what the risk was. As an Outsider, the only thing he'd have to really worry about was getting captured and held for a few hours, like the Veiled had done to him when they first met. As long as he was careful, he could check things out and see if there were any Valkyrie left in the city.

They were fierce and courageous warriors, and the thought of them wasting away as prisoners didn't sit right with him. The Chosen would not be kind captors, either.

"Why would they even do such a thing?" He wasn't really directing the question to anyone, but Maun answered anyway.

"It's a strategic location. Close to a dungeon, well-fortified with only two access points. If you think about it, it's the perfect place to train new soldiers."

"That's true."

Severance wondered how this was going to affect players who weren't part of those clans. The Chosen den was the quickest way to level to 30.