》5《

"Are you sure you don't want to go back to your aunt's apartment? Isn't it her wedding tomorrow?" BamBam asked. "You should get back now."

I shook my head. "I'm not ready to go back just yet. I mean, I'm getting a free tour of Seoul right now. I can't waste this opportunity."

"But vacations are times to spend with your family," BamBam said.

I made a face. "I can do that any time, not just in the summer," I said. "You know, sometimes it's okay to be away from family. They can't be the only people I spend time with."

"So, you admit you like spending time with me?"

I swear, that guy was smirking.

"Don't be ridiculous. This is just our second meeting," I said. "I'm still trying to decide if you're cool or not."

"Hey, I'm cool. I'm daebak," he said. I must've looked confused because then he added, "It means 'awesome'. Daebak. "

"Daebak," I repeated. "Okay. I guess that's another word to add to my dictionary."

"So, you can understand Korean now?"

I shrugged. "Just the basics. Pretty much just, 'hello,' and 'where's the bathroom?' I figured I'd need to use those phrases the most."

"At least you're learning," he said with a shrug and chuckled. I smiled, too. He had a nice laugh.

We followed the other two -- Jackson and Mark -- into this store. BamBam and I barely paid any attention to them. All we really did was follow them around the city as they went in and out of stores, which kinda beats the point of the whole tour thing.

"It's getting late, you know," I heard BamBam say.

"I don't think my mom would mind." She would but there's nothing she could do about it.

This boy was so confusing. He seemed pretty eager to give me a tour of the city but now it was like he couldn't wait for me to get away. It should have been me that wants to head back already.

We bumped into a few of their fans, and they -- the three famous guys -- would pretend I didn't exist. I didn't mind since I had no interest in being part of circulating rumors.

"Shouldn't you guys be getting back? Isn't there like a curfew at your dorm or something?" I asked BamBam.

"Well, you don't want to go home yet, and we can't let a pretty girl alone in a strange city," Mark said, joining our conversation. "We might have already left for the dorm if it weren't for you."

I frowned. "Well, thanks for making me feel guilty."

Mark let out a small laugh. "No problem."

"You know, I could get back on my own. I've got enough for a cab," I told them. "You guys can go ahead."

BamBam shook his head. "We can't just leave. It's not safe," he said.

It was sweet that he was thinking of my safety, but I was sure I could handle being on my own already. I've snuck out of the house late at night tons of times back at home.

"You're really not gonna leave unless I make it home, aren't you?" I guessed and BamBam nodded.

I frowned. "And how are you gonna make sure I make it safely? If you get into a cab with me someone could notice. I mean, you said it yourself, you guys are well-known. Rumors spread like wildfire, right?"

And in that moment I realized they hadn't thought about that.

In the end, I took a cab to my aunt's apartment. The three boys had kept some distance until I had gotten inside. The cab drove off and my view of the boys disappeared.

I made it to my aunt's place safe and sound. It was only when the cab had left that I realized just how late it was. It was probably already midnight. Hopefully I'd still be able to get inside.

As I had expected, the door to my aunt's apartment was locked so I used the spare key to get in. I thought I was quiet enough and I wouldn't be caught sneaking in but as soon as I turned around after locking the door, I came face to face with my mother.

The hard unreadable expression on her face scared me more than if she had been angry.

"Where were you?"

I'm not going to lie, the lack of emotion in her voice sent shivers up my spine. I took a deep breath to calm myself before I answered.

"I was out," I stated bluntly. While this was the first time she'd been this way to me, this wasn't my first time getting caught sneaking in late at night.

"Where?"

And I realized she was getting impatient. "I met some kids and they showed me around," I told her, hoping it would at least soften whatever blow was coming my way.

"Do you realize how late it is? Skye, we're not in L.A.! I don't know my way around here," she said. "And what if you got lost or worse? Don't you know how worried I was?"

"I'm sorry."

"That's it? That's all you have to say? All you're gonna do?"

"What else am I supposed to do? I'm here now, aren't I? I can't change the past. Do you want me to go back in time and not stay out late?"

"I want you to tell me where you go! I don't want to be left here, wondering if you'll be coming home or not."

I think we just started yelling at each other at that point. I don't remember everything I said, and everything that  came out of my mother's mouth were blurred. I wasn't even thinking about what it was that I was saying.

"No wonder dad left. You can be so clingy sometimes. I have my own life, you know." And as soon as I said those words I wanted to take them back.

"Mom," I said. "I, I didn't mean to-"

"Just go to the room." The harsh calmess in her tone hit me like a ton of bricks.

Mom and I didn't always get along, but that didn't mean I didn't love her. Knowing I've hurt her hurts me too.

"But-"

"Skylar, just go."

I did so without another word. The guilt clawed at my guts and tears stung my eyes.

I shouldn't have said that. I shouldn't have said that. I shouldn't have said that. Stupid stupid me.

I didn't mean to. I didn't mean it. But why'd you say it? I don't know why.

The room was empty and dark. U think that maybe I wauted for her to come in so I could apologize. I thought that maybe she'd want an apology. It was maybe one in the morning when sleep started gnawing at me. Mom never came into the room.