》1《

"You make me
Want to scream
At the top of my lungs"

I was sure that I would be getting some odd looks if I sang out loud so I chose instead to mouth the words to Afraid. It was maybe the most played song in my playlist at the moment but I didn't care. I'd probably have a new obsession by the time we'll be heading back home.

I mean, I'm gonna need something to entertain me on a long ass flight. I barely got any sleep on the plane and it was surprising that my mp3 player's battery life lasted for so long. I was pretty sure the mp3 player was broken already from years of bad handling. The rewind button was worn out and didn't work anymore.

The mp3 player was actually mom's. She had given it to me just for the next two weeks. My life was all in my laptop but mom refused to let me bring it. "You can survive a few days without Tumblr," she said. Pfft. I was not addicted to Tumblr like she had implied.

So apparently all I had to entertain myself was an old mp3 player. Sure, I put in all of my favorite songs but I was going to get tired of listening to them soon. This was all mother's plan, I was sure of it. I mean, I didn't ask her to drag me along to South Korea just for her sister's wedding.

And I certainly did not ask to stay in South Korea for two weeks.

Except here I was. I should have convinced mom to let me stay with my dad. But then again, two weeks living under the same roof as my jerk of a half brother would have been a nightmare.

We had been waiting in the airport for maybe thirty minutes when mom tapped me on the shoulder. I looked up at her as she muttered something I couldn't hear. She frowned when I didn't respond and suddenly my headphones were ripped off my head.

"Hey!" I cried, pouting.

She shot me a look and finally I noticed the lady standing right next to her.

"Are you not going to greet your tita?"

Now that she mentioned it, the lady did almost look like mom.

I sighed and mom handed me back my headphones. I let it rest around my neck and quickly composed myself.

"Hello po," I greeted. The word po was barely in my dictiomary. I never used it but it seemed appropriate to use it now. I didn't want to seem disrespectful or anything.

"Hi Skylar," Aunt Abbi said. She smiled warmly at me and I managed a small smile back. "You've grown so tall. I remember when you were still this small." She gestured with her hand my approximate height when I was, like, five years old. Of course I grew taller. I'm sixteen; it was eleven years ago when she last saw me.

The ride to my aunt's place wasn't too long. The two women chatted the whole way there and I was left sitting there with Greenday blasting through the headphones. If they tried to start up a conversation with me then I guess didn't notice.

I didn't realize the car had already stopped moving until, once again, mother pulled my headphones off my head.

"Can you at least try to enjoy it here? It's not likely that we'll be coming back here once we head back home."

I let out a sigh and muttered an "okay," even though I really didn't care that our stay here wasn't too long. I hopped out of the car and grabbed my suitcase from the back.

I followed my mom and aunt into the apartment building. To be honest, my aunt's apartment wasn't all that great. It was a little too small for my taste but that was probably the difference in culture that affected my thinking. It was home-y, I guess. Aunt Abbi was apparently moving in with her soon-to-be husband after the wedding so she was packing some stuff.

"So, this is your home for the next two weeks. I'm moving in with Hyun-soo after the wedding so this place is yours for the rest of your stay," said Aunt Abbi.

Mom and I began unpacking our things. Well, mom was unpacking while trying to convince me to unpack. Why should I have to unpack when we'll be packing our stuff again for when we head back home?

"It'll be easier to find clothes to wear when we're going out," mom reasoned.

Yeah, well I wasn't planning on leaving the apartment.

"Just hurry up and unpack, Skye. We're gonna go out and explore the city in a few minutes."

The finality in my mother's tone warned me not to argue so I didn't. I put in my headphones and blocked everything out as I grudgingly started unpacking.

It didn't take long for me to empty my suitcase, but I guess I took a little too long for my mother as she had already left the room.

Another downside to coming here: I had to share a room with my mom for two weeks. Or at least until my aunt moves in with her husband.

It's not too bad but I liked my privacy. Hopefully time would pass by fast enough.

"Girls girls girls, they love me."

I rolled my eyes at the lyrics of the song. It was a music video of some Korean boyband.

Honestly, I had no interest in watching the rest of the music video. what with the conceited lyrics and all, but it wasn't like I could just change the channel or turn off the TV. At least their dancing was good, so I guess that made up for the music video and lyrics.

I prefered to listen to a different kind of musical genre -- punk rock, mostly, and occasionaly some indie, and mainstream pop when I'm in the mood -- but I guess I'm gonna have to get used to the k-pop that I would probably be hearing every day for the next two weeks.