Chapter 12 - The Walls of Moria

Once everyone had emerged from the snow and brushed the cold ice from their hair, we had to decide what to do next.

"We must get off the mountain." I said sternly to Gandalf. He huffed but didn't argue. Boromir was debating fiercely with Aragorn, saying we should go back and head to the Gap of Rohan.

"The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Saruman! We have already seen today the havoc he could throw us into!" Aragorn yelled over the howling winds. I felt Sam shiver violently next to me, and I knew they didn't have much time.

"If we cannot go over the mountain, then let us go under it! Let us go through the Mines of Moria." Exclaimed Gimli, sounding slightly exasperated. The mines, I knew, were dangerous. They were full of unknown beasts and terrible shadows. Nothing good would come from our passage through the mines, but I didn't see any other choice. I sighed, looking to Gandalf for his choice.

"Let the Ring Bearer decide." He mumbled quietly, his voice carrying across the winds. Frodo looked shocked at his newly found responsibility, but he quickly turned his face down in thought. The winds were picking up, causing snowflakes to flick around my face, stinging all the while. I could see Frodo was feeling the discomfort too, and I knew before he even spoke he would choose the Mines. To him, they must sound like a hearty dwarvish abode, but how mistaken he would be. But I dared not speak. Frodo's choice would be the right one, though it would still be highly dangerous.

Frodo's features hardened, and I knew he had made his decision, though it was no shock to me.

"We will go through the Mines." He told us all. He said it confidently, but I could see the unease on his face at our reactions.

"So be it." Gandalf whispered, though quietly so only Aragorn and I could hear it. I knew he was worried to pass through the mines, but the road was chosen now, and it was best to take it as it was laid out in front of us.

We hurriedly walked back down the mountain. We could not go very fast, because the snow was still deep and it was hard to traverse. All except Legolas and I had to plow through the freezing ice, which was nearly past the hobbits ears. By the time we were halfway down the mountain, the blizzard had cleared and the sky was now the light blue of midday. Saruman seemed to have given us a break. The sun finally made it's way out of the receding clouds and shone down on our backs, renewing our hope. It reflected brightly on the snow, causing us all to squint, but we welcomed it's warm embrace nonetheless. Soon enough, the snow had warmed to a soft sludge and Boromir could easily plow a path for the rest of the Fellowship. Within the hour, we were back at the base of the mountain, finally out of the sloshy snow. I smiled slightly to myself at the feeling of grass beneath my feet. I hadn't noticed it, but I missed the sight of trees and the smell of flowers.

For the rest of the day we walked. The hobbits had soon warmed up and dried off, and seemed just as happy as I to be off the snowy mountain. We barely rested, though none of us complained, wanting to get as much distance between ourselves and the castings of Saruman as possible. By the time the sun was getting low on the horizon, and Pippins feet had begun to drag, we trudged closer to the mountain range, climbing up slightly. We were following a well trodden path, though it was now covered in loose rocks. The sun hid behind the mountains and long shadows were cast around us. The warm day had very quickly turned cold, and the stone around us let off a nasty chill.

Suddenly, we rounded a corner and were presented with the breathtaking sight of the Walls of Moria. They were what looked like the side of a mountain, though they were carved flat and stretched on for many legues. Before the wall was an ominous looking lake, who's surface looked more like oil than water. Gimli gasped, obviously proud of his kins workmanship, but no matter how impressive the sight was, it still filled me with dread. Gandalf seemed to have the same idea, and huffed to himself. We slowly started picking our way towards the wall and around the lake. All of my senses were on high alert, and my ears twitched, trying to pick up any minute sound or air vibration. One of my hands was firmly on Sams back, helping him around the slippery rocks. My other hand was resting lightly on Thangur's hilt.

By the time we made it around the lake to the wall, the sun had disappeared and the moon was drifting in the sky. The stars were twinkling, though their light seemed pale and distant. Gimli was rambling on about dwarvish architecture, and how Dwarvish doors were invisible when sealed. This seemed silly to me, as I thought how easily they could be lost and forgotten. Legolas had the same idea.

"Why doesn't that surprise me." Muttered Legolas, earning a huff from Gimli. I laughed at their bickering, but quickly stopped when Legolas turned to look at me. I turned my head to the ground, and kept quiet. Gandalf stopped at a section of the wall guarded by two trees. He wiped away the grime and dust that had built up on the stone, revealing a small inscription.

"... in starlight and moonlight..." He muttered to himself, seemingly unaware of our confused glances. I turned away and gazed into the water. It seemed terribly still, so still it looked unnatural. I took a step closer to the murky waters, trying to see through to the bottom, but it was so horribly misty I could barely see a few feet. My attention was disrupted at a small gasp. I returned to the others and saw the outline of a door had revealed itself on the rock. It was rounded, with plants winding and weaving their way up the sides, making it appear elvish. The door was most definitely Dwarvish, but perhaps the enchantment on it was of Elvish make.

Gandalf grinned, seeming please at himself for finding the hidden door. Merry looked quite impressed, but everyone else was too tired and on edge to give it much thought. Gandalf raised his staff and pointed to the elvish inscriptions above the door.

"It reads 'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.'" Gandalf finished proudly, turning to us all with a smile.

"What do you suppose that means!" Merry said with a confused look on his face.

"It's simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open!" Gandalf replied cheerily and with much enthusiasm. With that he turned back to the door outline, pointed his staff to the middle, and chanted a password in Elvish.

Nothing happened, much to our disappointment. Gandalf seemed slightly taken aback, but after a moments thought he approached the door and spoke another sentence, this one slightly different. Again, nothing happened. By now, everyones newly found enthusiasm was ebbing.

"Nothings happening." Pippin told Legolas, which was quite cheeky. At that Gandalf frowned, and lost some of his patience. He started to push and lean on the door, hoping in vain it would give way. When it didn't, he started to mumble to himself, annoyed at the lack of movement from the door. Pippin's patience must have run out quite some time ago, because he seemed especially bold tonight.

"What are you going to do then?" He asked Gandalf, ignoring the warning look I shot him.

"Knock your head against these doors, Perigin Took! And if that does not shatter them, then I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions!" Gandalf retorted angrily. "I am trying to find the opening words." He said.

After what seemed like ages, and none of Gandalf's passwords had worked so far, I decided to watch the waters instead. Not long ago, Sam had released his pony, Bill, for the Mines were no place for a pony. I could see Bill walking around the edges of the lake on the opposite shores, away from the mountains and towards the nearest grass. He was an intelligent animal, and I knew he would make it back to Bree in the end. Merry seemed to have grown bored of sitting and waiting, so he entertained himself by throwing pebbles into the water. As soon as the first pebble struck the surface, I felt a shiver run through the water, and I immediately knew something wasn't right. I opened my mouth to tell Merry to stop, but Aragorn was already there.

"Do not disturb the water." He scolded, catching him before he threw another rock in. Merry looked a little sheepish, but returned to his seat on a boulder. Gandalf exclaimed loudly, huffing about the uselessness of the situation. He still hadn't managed to open the door, and he seemed utterly defeated. I sighed, which had almost become a habit now, and leaned against the wall. I didn't know how long we would be waiting here. I just hoped we were inside the Mines before someone, or something, found our whereabouts.