Chapter 5 - The Fellowship of The Ring

Guys! Thank you so much for your support. I know to some the number of favourites and reads may look small, but to me, its amazing. So thank you!

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor." Elrond gazed at all of us, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom. Bring forth the Ring, Frodo" Elrond gestured for the ring to be placed upon a pedestal. Frodo, the small hobbit, slowly rose and cautiously walked to the pedestal. I took this small break to take in the guests. The elves sat regal and beautiful, and as I caught the eye of a beautiful blonde elf, he smiled at me and winked. I blushed and moved my gaze to the dwarves. There were only three, but between them they must have had more hair then everyone present. Finally I rested on the men. Most looked proud, but one was looking on with such wisdom in his eyes I could not believe him to be a mere mortal. Suddenly the eyes of the men widened and some gasped in awe.

I turned to see Frodo had set down the Ring. It was plain to look at, just a circular band of gold. It seemed to have a weight to it though and I could feel it tugging on the air. Frodo returned to his seat and looked relived to be rid of the burden. Suddenly a man with strawberry blonde hair, who seemed to be only in his twenties, rose from his chair and carefully looked around.

"In a dream, I saw the Eastern sky grow dark. But in the West a pale light lingered. A voice was crying, 'Your doom is near at hand'. Isildurs bane is found." The man stopped his speech, and turned towards the ring. He reached his hand out hesitantly. I could hear the Ring whispering to him, urging him to continue. Elrond leaped to his feet in anger, crying out the mans name, Boromir. Elrond was cut off, however, by Gandalf, who was chanting in a language I did not understand. But the words carried power, evil and felt like poison to my soul. The sky grew darker at Gandalfs voice. His voice slowly amplified, causing it to reverberate around the valley. Boromir hastily backed away from the Ring and Elrond looked annoyed. I turned to see the blonde elf and the other elves close their eyes, and I guessed the verse was hurting them as it was hurting me.
As Gandalf finished, light returned to the valley, and everyone seemed shocked.

"Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here." Elrond said, anger tinging his voice.

"I do not ask for your pardon, Master Elrond, for the black speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the west. The Ring is altogether evil." Gandalf proclaimed. But that did not stop the determination of Boromir.

"Nay, it is a gift! A gift to the foes of Mordor!" Boromir rose once again, and Gandalf looked at him incredulously. "Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people, are your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!" I looked curiously at Boromir. He seemed smart enough, and I could not understand why he thought the ring could be used for good. The Ring must have some power over him, as I felt it tugging at Boromirs conscience.

"You cannot wield it, none of us can." The wise man said, finally speaking up. "The One Ring answers to Sauron alone, it has no other master."

"What would a Ranger know of this matter?" Boromir sneered. This seemed to anger the blonde elf, and he stood, blue eyes gleaming.

"This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your allegiance." The elf replied passionately. I felt surprised at the information though I did not show it. Everyone else's eyes widened as they realised who Aragorn was. Aragorn seemed unaffected by this revelation, and looked Boromir steadily in the eye.

"Aragorn? This is Isildurs heir?" Boromir joked, eyeing down Aragorn.

"And heir to the throne of Gondor." The elf breathed. Aragorn told the elf, whom he called Legolas, to sit, and he reluctantly returned to his chair.

"Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king." Boromir sneered once more, before also returning to his chair. The mood in the courtyard was awkward and uneasy, and I saw a dwarf fiddle nervously with his beard.

"Aragorn is right, we cannot use it." Gandalf calmly stated. I felt it was time to step in.

"We have only one choice. The Ring must be destroyed." I said in my elegant elvish accent, holding my chin high. The dark man from earlier growled.

"Why should we listen to this She-elf! She seems more decorative than useful!" He looked me in the eye, mistrust clouding his judgement. Before I could say anything to defend myself, Legolas once again leapt to his feet, but this time he strode over and stood in front of the man.

"Faervel has fought in more battles than you have ever dreamt of. I personally saw her take down a squad of 30 orcs single handedly. And as for wisdom, she has seen many more winters than most here, and knows about matters you have never heard of. If you will not listen to her judgement, I will not listen to yours." Legolas retaliated proudly. He glared at the man until Elrond told him to sit. I snapped my head and looked at Legolas. Why was this elf talking so highly of me? I had never met him but it seemed that he had heard of me. I looked questionably at him, and he blushed. Many looked at me wonderingly, as if they were seeing a totally different elf.

"As I was saying," I cleared my throat and regained my composure. "The Ring must be destroyed." A dwarf with orange hair picked up his axe and walked to the pedestal.

"Then what are we waiting for!" The dwarf growled, his voice husky. He swung the axe and brought it heavily down atop the Ring. As his axe made contact a red light shone in front of my eyes and I flinched. Gandalf looked at me, startled at my reaction. Gimli flew back, his axe shattered into many separate pieces. The Ring lay unharmed where Frodo has set it down.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli son of Gloin, by any craft that we here posses." Said Elrond, looking almost amused. "The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor, and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came! One of you must do this." Elrond finished ominously.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor" Boromir shook his head. "It is heavily guarded and even the air there is evil! And there is always the Eye, which is ever watchful. This is folly."

With that, there was an outburst of retorts. This quickly escalated into a fuming argument. Only myself and Frodo remained seated, quietly regarding the situation. But even as I surveyed, Frodo stood purposefully, small among the tall men around him.

"I will take it." He stated, walking forwards. "I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor!" He repeated, this time more confidently. Everyone slowly quietened, looking in amazement at the little Hobbit, who seemed fearful of the quest, though determined to see it through. "Though, I do not know the way." He added, a little embarrassed.

"I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear." Gandalf agreed, standing behind Frodo. Aragorn stood and joined Gandalf, along with Legolas, Gimli, and finally Boromir, who seemed to have accepted the fact the ring must be destroyed. I smiled in surprise as another Hobbit appeared from behind a bush and joined, saying he would also go with Frodo. The hobbit was closely followed by two more, who wouldn't miss the chance of an adventure. I glanced at Elrond before joining the group,

"I shall also accompany Frodo, and I will protect him with my life." I announced, standing proudly.

"10 companions. So be it, you shall be the Fellowship of the Ring." Elrond announced, smiling at us all. I couldn't help but feel nervous. I could tell the path in front of me was dangerous and unpredictable, but I smiled anyway, glad to be in the presence of strong souls.