Chapter 8 - Apple Trees

I awoke to the dim light of dawn peering though the cave opening, casting long shadows into the cave. Aragorn was already up, and so was Gimli since he was on watch. I heard Gandalf snoring lightly in the corner, and was surpised it didn't wake the hobbits. I joined Aragorn by the rekindled fire, and treated myself to a slice of bread and cheese. Aragorn had been quiet most of the trip, thoughtfully chewing his pipe. He still seemed more wise, and more dignified then any other men I had met, which had me wondering.

"Aragorn, excuse my curiosity, but I feel you are not a mere man from the North. What is your story?" I quietly asked, not wanting to disturb anyones sleep. Aragorn puffed out some smoke from his pipe and looked at me pensively. After a moment of thought he removed his pipe and twisted it in his hands.

"Well, Faervel, as you said I came from the North, but I was one of the Dunedain, who experience elongated lifespans. My father was killed by orcs when I was very young, so Elrond fostered me in Rivendell, hence my knowledge of elvish ways." Aragorn recounted, twirling his pipe between his thumb and index finger. "Though, it seems I do not know all about elves, as you are quite different than any I have met before!" He exclaimed, a cheerful smile spreading across his face. I laughed quietly at this, and shook my head.

"It is said you have a way with plants. Is it true?" He inquired, curiousity obvious on his features. Gimli had joined us, as had Gandalf, Legolas and Boromir. We must have woken them, though the hobbits still lay in a blissful sleep which I envied. I slowly nodded my head, and Aragorn urged me to explain further.

"As you may know, my mother is Galadriel, and my father is Celeborn. They are both great elves, and I learnt many things from them, but me being able to influence plants was a surprise to us all. It is rare to be able to control organisms as I do." I explained shyly, letting my hair tumble over my shoulders and hide my face.

"Please, Faervel, show us." Legolas requested, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. I sighed, as the hobbits had finally woken up and everyone was looking at me keenly. I walked out of the cave and picked up a leaf that had blown away from its branch. I returned inside and placed it in the middle of the cave, away from all the walls. I shut my eyes and focused on the leaf, willing it to spread and grow, to change and bloom. By the exclamations of the Fellowship, I knew it had worked. I opened my eyes warily, and saw, to my imense pleasure, a beautiful little apple tree had sprouted in the cave. Everyone was looking at me in awe, astonished at what they had just witnessed. Even Gandalf seemed pleased. I grinned at the tree, and at my smile one bright red apple matured on one of the larger branches. Seconds later it fell, gravity taking it to the floor, but not before Legolas swooped in and caught it before its beautiful skin was bruised. Legolas twirled it in his hand and let out a burst of amused laughter.

"We shall not need to bring any food with us, if you can just grow it!" He threw the apple in the air and caught it again.

"Well, I wouldn't rely on it." I added, snatching the apple off him with a laugh. I pulled a small knife from my thigh holster and cut the apple into ten parts, handing everyone a piece. They all beamed, obviously liking the taste. I smiled too, but my smile slowly faded as I looked at the apple tree. I hadn't thought my plan all the way through, and I could see now the tree obviously wouldn't survive in the cave without access to water and sunlight. Sam noticed my frown, and looked at the tree too, realisation growing on him.

"Lady Faervel, maybe we should move it outside, into the sun?" He suggested. I agreed and with Sams help, I carefully removed the tree from the hard rock and dirt of the cave floor and onto the nicer soil outside. Sam got his canteen and poured some water onto the sapling. Sam was a great gardener, I could tell, and I appreciated him for it.

"Thank you, Sam." I inclined my head slightly to him, and he immediately blushed and scrambled back inside. I laughed lightly to myself and followed him, only to be stopped by Legolas at the cave entrance. He grinned and revealed a little white flower resting on his palm. He motioned for me to take it, so I scooped it up and held it softly between my fingers. I brought it up to my lips and whispered to it, and it promptly doubled in size and whitened to a brilliant pearly shade. Legolas looked at me in silent wonderment, before taking the flower from me and placing it in my hair.

"Now it will not wither, or shrivel up." I told Legolas, and he looked pleased at the thought. We both returned inside and packed our things, as Gandalf was itching to move on. The sun was now illuminating everything more brightly, and it was time to get going. I got my back pack and swung it over my shoulder, already missing the companionship and helpfullness of Erynil, my trustworthy mare. Before we left Rivendell, I had released her from the stables, instructing her to head back to Lorien. She had shot off, a ghost amongst the trees. I was sure I would see her again, but I knew the path we were to take was too treacherous for a horse, and we would eventually have to let Bill go too.

When Pippin had finally finished packing, which he seemed adept at doing as slowly at possible, we all continued on between the towering walls of rock, enjoying the warm sun and the light breeze. Eventually we emerged from the valley, and we trudged onto a barren landscape of rocky outcrops and yellow grass. I took a deep breath. We were out of helps reach from any elves, as Rivendell was behind us and Lorien immensely far ahead.