Chapter 3 - Faervel's Ring

*1,397 years earlier*
{no ones P.O.V}

The city of Lothlorien was in high spirits. Flowers were blooming and elves were singing. They sung of beauty and wisdom and happiness, and they sung these songs for Faervel, for it was her third birthday. Even as a toddler, Faervel was beautiful. She shone with the brilliance of flame and smiled like the crescent moon. She laughed with delight as elf after elf presented her with presents. She received many gifts that day; Flowers, jewellery, books and songs. She proudly showed them all to her father, who looked at her like the sun looks at a flower. As the day progressed the gifts became less, until at the going down of the sun, an old crow appeared at Faervel's window. In it's claws it held a note, and a beautiful ruby ring. Celeborn took the note and gave Faervel the ring, which she gazed at in awe. Celeborn opened the letter, and read it through.

Dear Princess Faervel,
As you grow older, so does your beauty, your kindness, and your joyfulness. I have sent thee a ring to commemorate these qualities, and to enhance them as you grow. It is in my hopes that you will not part from this token.

Celeborn frowned, gazing at the note. It held no signature and no way of identifying the sender. The crow which delivered the gift cawed once before launching itself into the sky. Celeborn should have seen there and then the hidden evil in the ring, and the peculiar mystery to the note. But Celeborn was drunk on love and happiness, and brushed it away without a second thought.

That night, even though Faervel fell asleep feeling as happy as she had ever been, she dreamt of shadows, darkness and the evil of Sauron. But she did not scream, and she didn't not cry, as a persuasive voice was whispering in her head that these images were good, and that they were her future. She tossed and sweated but did not wake until morning light streamed through her window.

Faervel was too young to recall her mental battle with Sauron, but these dreams sparked a thought in her otherwise happy head. And for the first time since entering this world, Faervel frowned.

For more information on Faervel's battle with Sauron, see the description of the story.