Chapter 4 - The Council of Elrond

Erynil's powerful legs raced across plains and through forests. I shut my eyes and let her guide the way, and let the rhythm of her pounding hooves lull me into a restless sleep. I dreamt of darkness, shadows and my destiny. Ever since I was a child these dreams had tormented me, slowly causing my waking hours to be more tiresome.

I was jostled awake as Erynil had stopped suddenly at the foot of a large mountain range. I digested my surroundings and realised we were already at the base of Redhorn, the massive mountain ahead of us. We had only been traveling for 4 days and we were already a third of the way to Rivendell. I patted Erynil for her speed and dedication and pulled my cloak tighter around me, urging her onwards up the Redhorn pass. The weather hadn't changed and the day was bright and the sun high. Even though Redhorn was topped with chilling snow, I did not feel the cold as my cloak was warm and Erynil even warmer.

By the time night had cloaked the mountains, they were already behind us. For another 6 days and 7 nights we traveled across the barren landscapes of Middle Earth, with mountains to our left, and the wilderness to the right. We stopped only to eat and stretch, and towards the last few leagues I could feel Erynil beginning to tire. She was a strong horse, and a dedicated companion, but she had her limits. She slowed the pace down to a fast walk, but I didn't mind, as I could tell we were but a few hours walk from Rivendell.

Finally, as the sun rose, we came to the valley that Rivendell resided in. I looked up and saw the beautiful architecture of the elves, and heard the soft singing of the gentle trees. I smiled to myself, happy to be back with my kind after a long road of loneliness. Erynil picked up the pace and lead us to the front courtyard. There, we were met by a fair elf man, with brown hair and kind eyes.

"Lady Faervel, we have been expecting your Arrival. Lady Galadriel sent word of your coming." The elf greeted me, bowing his head. "I am Lindir, and I shall be your guide." I smiled at him and giggled at his formality.

"Thank you Lindir. I am here for the Council of Elrond. I do hope I haven't missed it." I glanced at the sky, seeing it was soon to be noon. I dismounted Erynil and handed her over to a stable boy.

"The Council is to start in only a few short hours. If you will, I may escort you to your room so you can prepare yourself." I nodded my head and followed Lindir as he moved through the city. It certainly was beautiful but it didn't hold the mystical charm that I loved in Lorien. We eventually arrived at a modest room with a view over a waterfall.

"Thank you Lindir." I gave him a charming smile, making him blush.

"I will return later to take you to the Council." He then bowed and exited the room, leaving me to clean myself up. I pulled off my clothes, which were now dirty and weather worn, and left them on the floor. I saw that a dress had been laid out for me on the bed. I chuckled at the hospitality these Elves seemed to show. I brought the dress into the washroom, and after I had cleaned myself I pulled it on. It fitted me tightly over my torso and billowed out a bit at the skirt. It had gold lace over the chest and arms and fabric hung off the sleeves. It certainly complemented my features. I left my hair brushed and free, and walked barefoot, but I didn't forget to add a dagger to the holster on my thigh.

I heard a knock at the door and sighed. This was going to be difficult. I opened the door to Lindir's face, and I followed him to a large courtyard lined with trees and circled by chairs. The chairs were already full with elves, men, dwarves, a hobbit and Gandalf the Grey. Many faces were familiar and I knew Gandalf as we had traveled together many times. I smiled at Gandalf. It wasn't until I took a seat near Elrond that I realised everyone was looking at me. Some were glaring, some were smiling, and some looked merely curious. I blushed furiously, cursing my pale complexion.

"Elrond, what is a woman doing here, an elvish woman!?" A man exclaimed. "This is not a place for soft female hearts and pretty dresses" I turned my gaze to him and saw he had dark hair and dark eyes. I looked him in the eye and smiled.

"I am here for I have an opinion, and a good opinion at that, and don't misjudge me by my looks, for I am more dangerous than a mere elvish maiden." I grinned, and the man hastily looked away, muttering something about a sorcerer.

Elrond smiled at me, and stood up.

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor."