39: The other bed

She sat on the unoccupied bed beside Romola's.

Olumide watched her eyes flicker to them and then roll away when they landed on Romola's sleeping body. She would then turn aside and whisper to herself. He wished he could hear what she thinking or muttering. It would help him throw off the feeling that he couldn't leave Romola alone with Yetunde for one second.

It was silly to think, especially as he lay side by side with Romola, that he would always have her to himself. Yetunde was her best friend and even though he did not like the idea of his future girlfriend being Yetunde's friend, he did not have a choice.

He glanced down at the beauty whose nose pointed towards his neck. Her head lay on his arm and his hand curved around her waist She had long succumbed to the pain and decided to sleep it off.

He wasn't needed at her side but he choose to remain. Sooner or later, he knew that he would have to get of the bed. Not only was the bed too small to properly host both their bodies, he knew that she would regain her memory. Would she host him in her heart then?

Would she even agree to date him? Yetunde's question flashed in his mind. He felt some guilt for choosing Romola over Yetunde whose crush on him had lived for years when he wasn't sure that Romola would requite his feelings.

Sure, she had almost kissed him, but she was without the memory and thoughts that made her Romola. Terror filled his heart at the thought that she could wake up and decide their relationship wasn't worth pursuing.

He just could not let it go. He had read something in their chats. She had to be feeling something somewhat similar to what he had for her to be so playful and teasing. What if that was how she with the people she trusted? The uncertainties created a possible future without Romola in his heart. A path he refused to accept. He would do anything to make her feel even a fraction of what she felt. All she needed was a fraction of the anxiety and attraction he felt. Amnesia or not, he was going to win and keep her heart.

The door creaked open. Yetunde jumped off the bed. He saw the fear flash in her eyes before her eyes turned to the door. Dami strolled in smiling at Vicky, He ended his words, still smiling before turning towards the bed. His eyes pinned themself to Yetunde's body and she dropped her head choosing to stare at her feet.

"What are you doing here?".Yetunde inched closer to Romola's bed. "Aren't you supposed to be at doctor Stephen's place?"

"He canceled. He said he had some important family meeting or whatever." Yetunde sighed.

"That's not an excuse!" Dami took a step forward. Yetunde winced, raising her hand to shield her face from him. His feature softened at her gesture. "How did you get here?"

"Mummy said I could come. Besides, I'm not allowed to drive anymore. Remember." Yetunde propped her hand on her hip. "I don't even know why you people are worried. Romola looks fine to me. She's my best friend. I know her."

"You didn't tell her?" Vicky's sharp gaze landed on Olumide's round eyes.

He couldn't believe that such words had come out of Yetunde's mouth.

"Tell me what?"

"It's not my place. Dami can do the honours." Olumide feared opening his mouth and letting the string of curses to spew at her. He was afraid of saying something true but something he would end up regretting later.

"Can someone just explain what's going on?"

Dami stared at Vicky, then to Olumide before his eyes settled on his sister. He put his hand around her shoulder but she cast it off with a cold look. "Yetunde Romola doesn't remember anything."

"What do you mean by she doesn't remember?"

"Let me handle this." Vicky crossed over to Yetunde until she was staring at her eye to eye. "Yetunde, your friend's mind is like a blank canvas. It's probably a side effect from the drug and we don't know if its permanent or not."

Olumide watched Yetunde's face for something like remorse and guilt but she only stood unblinking.

"Yetunde," Dami coaxed.

She blinked , staring at Romola as though she couldn't quite make out what to feel.

"But she's fine right. Like is she even going to remember anything at all?"

"We don't know. Its left to God." Vicky turned to Olumide with a stern look. "Why are you in her bed? I don't care if you're dating her or not, just come down this instance."

Olumide watched Yetunde's jaw tighten at Vicky words. The first emotion since she'd learnt of Romola's mental state. This was not how he intended to break the news to her. 

VERSE FOR THE DAY:

For God has not called us for uncleanness, but in holiness (1st Thessonlonians 4:7)

What do you think holiness is?