41: Leaving the Hospital

"I can't wait." Romola slipped her feet into the black sneaker Vicky handed her. Her legs danced in the shoes but she liked the freedom it offered.

"You can't wait to leave the hospital or you can't wait to see Olumide?"

Romola pried her eyes away from Vicky's, trying to hide the heat in her cheeks and the curve of her lips. She was glad that she could leave the hospital and that she would be living wit Olumide until Yetunde's therapist gave her leave to return to the flat. Hopefully, it would not be too soon. "Both."

"Romola, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Do you love Olumide?"

Romola froze with the shoe lace caught between her fingers. She dropped the shoe lace. "Yes. I do. He's kind."

"Okay," Vicky drawled, dropping the gift bag on the bed. "Are you ready to leave?"

"Yes." Romola huffed, following Vicky's step towards the door. She was ready to meet Olumide and catch up on all the events of the previous day.

They walked side by side through the white tiled hallways. "Romola, you really like Olumide right?"

"Yes. Yes I do. I like him so much it almost hurts. I feel like the love I have can just flood the earth." Romola spread her hands in a wide arc.

Vicky chuckled, throwing her hands around Romola' shoulders. "I don't want to get involved in your relationship with Mide but I really think both of you should take it slow. You should really get to know him and his family before you commit to him. Be patient they can be.. he can be difficult. Sometimes."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because, I'm his friend and I want the best for both of you."

Vicky walked ahead of her and she took her time to walk behind Vicky while she mulled over Vicky's advice. She found no need for Vicky's words. There was nothing difficult abut Olumide. She was ready to marry him right then if he asked.

They arrived at the waiting room to find Olumide pacing the length of the room. A smile seized her lips as her eyes fell on his slender form. He turned around and his eyes met hers. His face broke into a smile.

"You're ready."

She watched his eyes run down the flower patterned sundress Vicky had given her. His smile widened and hers did too.

"Yes." She let out the breath that had stalled in her lungs upon sighting him in his grey shirt on black denim and red timberland boots.

"Mide, please make sure she takes her drugs at the right time. She shouldn't miss any dose and I'd advise you to let her rest."

He took the gift bag without breaking his gaze off Romola's face. "I will."

"I'm serious."

"I will. Trust me." Olumide closed the gap between them. She caught the scent of his spicy woodsy cologne in her nose as she marked ever pore and curve of his smiling face. If only she could hold him to herself and plant kisses from one edge of his lips to the other.

"Shall we, beautiful?" He held out his elbow and she linked their hands. He pulled her closer and led her out of the waiting room. She turned back to Vicky, waving.

"Bye." Vicky twirled her fingers at her before tuning away.

She leaned against Olumide's chest and his hand slid out of hers and curved around her waist. "I missed you a lot Romola. I wish I spent yesterday with you."

"You could have come you know" She raised her head, staring at his clean shaven jaw and wrapping her hand around his body.

"I could've but then, I wouldn't be able to-" He stopped.

"To what?"

"It's a surprise, baby."