55: Drowning

"Come into the water, Mide."

Romola cupped some water and tossed it in his direction. Some droplets fell on his shirt, leaving the white material translucent on his skin. He didn't budge but the sides of his lips lifted in a smile. "Come on. It's fun."

"I know it is."

"Then why aren't you in here?" She moved closer to the sand. She didn't know if her swimming stregnth could handle the deep uncaring waves of the sea and she wasn't about to test it.

"I don't want to."

"That's a lie." She pouted.

He dropped his phone then sat up, taking off the shades off his face.

She frowned, "You just don't how to swim."

His laughter filled the space between them. The large rocks on his left seperated them from the non-private side of the beach. It was just them on this side. He and she. And she didn't remember telling a joke. What was he laughing at then?

"Why are you laughing jhoor?" She placed her hands akimbo, trying to plant her feet in the sand bar and watching the sea water ebb around her waist.

"Do you know how long I've been swimming?"

"No. But I can always teach you how."

Olumide guffawed, clutching his stomach. She liked the twinkle in his eyes as he roared but a small frown took hold of her lip. She didn't like to be laughed at.

He paused, speaking admist spouts of laughter. "You...you want to teach me how to swim."

"Yes." She folded her arms. "It is not impossible na."

"I've probably been swiming before you were born."

"Oh really?" She scooped some water and let it run down her face as she stuck her tongue out at him.

She pushed the water around her and swam out a little more before staring at Olumide. His eyes seemed to follow the path of the water streaming down her bikini top to the water beneath. She had picked the multi coloured bikini to draw his attention to certains areas. She let her lips curl in a sly smile.

"Oya, come and teach me how to swim." She crooked her fingers in a 'come-here' motion.

"I'm fine here." He sat back on the chair, crossed his legs and turned his attention to his phone like a Joseph who would not be tempted.

"What are you doing on the phone? I want to spend time with you."

"We're spending time together."

"You're too far away. Is the phone more important than me?" She grabbed a handful of wet sand and hurled it in his direction.

She could very well have thrown paper at the large rocks on the beach. He remained in the same position with a small smile set on the edge of his lips.

"Yes, at the moment it is."

"Really?" She asked, folding her arms akimbo.

He didn't give her an answer.

Her eyes lit as an idea came to her mind. "If you come to the water, I will kiss you."

He sat up, rolling his eyes. "Because you are what? A mermaid?"

"Maybe." She paused, swimming further into the water. "Maybe I'm from the water. I'll go back."

"As if. We only have mami water in Nigeria. Nigerians would use them for Juju and maybe peppersoup but do you want to live in this dirty water?"

"You know I'm swimming inside it right?" She swam a bit further.

Another plan had come to her mind and this one would surely get him in the water.

"You are swimming in fish pee. Don't go too far."

"Why should I be worried? You are here. My very own life guard." She swam, knowing that the water now danced around her chest. "I mean there is nothing that... Aaaahh!"

"Romola!"

She watched him fly off his seat. She ducked under the water for several seconds as excitement filled her. She would surely burst from exictment. He would have to come into the water now.

She resurfaced in a few seconds, throwing her hands and beating the water as though she was trying to drag herself to land. He was a few feet away. She had finally succeeded and if the frantic stokes of his hand against the water were anything to go by, he woud be at her side in seconds.

"Help... Help!"

She allowed herself to gulp some of the fish pee then she descended into the water again. She dared not open her eyes and let the stingy salt water in. She kept herself afloat barely. Her heart was a timer and she counted each heart beat before he came to her. It was the longest seconds of her life, holding her breath and waiting for Olumide to arrive.

Her heart pumped faster and faster as several seconds passed. Her lungs demanded for oxygen and the water pressure began to weigh on her limbs?

What if he wasn't coming? What if he couldn't swim.

Her chest began to burn. She flapped her hands to rise as she rose to the surfce. Something clutched her stomach as he face broke the water and some of it entered her mouth. The sharp intake of air caused her to cough out water as her lungs burnt.

"Wait." She ordered.

He stopped, holding her close and floating in the water with her as she smirked. She allowed her eyes to roam every visible pore on his wet skin.

"I got you.. I got you in the water."

His eyes narrowed. "So you weren't drowning?"