44: The True Romola

"Nothing. I'm just curious. You said your mother makes a big deal out of the fact that you are not home. Why hasn't she called? Why doesn't her number exist? Why are you not known in your street?" Yetunde smirked.

Yetunde moved to the shoe rack and grabbed some heels.

Romola felt that Yetunde knew more than what she said. "It is not possible that nobody on my street knows me."

"Babe, this bag is too small. Get something fancier. You know, you're going to Olumide's house."

Romola rolled her eyes but accepted the truth to Yetunde's words when she tried to stuff her shoes in the bag but they wouldn't fit. She sighed and looked around before sighting a bigger bag. She placed her shoes, clothes and ephemeral into her bag.

"It is not possible. Someone has to know me. How do you even know that?"

"Dami tried to find your house on your street but apparently nobody, not even the security man, knows who you are."

Romola zipped the bag. Yetunde's words raised that feeling of unworthiness again. The feeling that all things were not as they ought to be. She shook her head. It was not possible that nobody knew her. She hoisted her bag on her shoulder, heading for the door. "Maybe he checked the wrong street?"

Yetunde held her wrist and pulled her back. "I know you don't remember anything I might have told you about Olumide and I think it's a good thing in some circumstances but I am begging you as a friend because I know who you are and what you stand for. Please, please do not date Olumide. You'll regret it when you remember."

"You mean if." Romola sent Yetunde a heated gaze.

Yetunde's jaw slacked and her eyes widened. "Don't you want to remember?"

"A life with you? No."

Yetunde sighed. "I know you don't mean that. You're speaking this way because of what Olumide must've told you about me."

Romola dragged her hand from Yetunde's hold without breaking her glare. "You only think what you already know about yourself."

"For your information, Moromola. I'm only trying to look out for you." Yetunde said, stepping towards Romola. "You don't know Olumide and right now you don't know who you are or what you want. You love your books. You love reading. You want to be a successful student. The best of your class and you don't have time to date. Especially guys like Olumide."

"Whatever I decide to do and with whom is none of your business. Why should you care about a life you tried to take?" Romola tilted her head, squinting her eyes.

"It was an accident. An overdose!"

"But you planned to drug me so."

"Look. You club with me. You drink with me. Why shouldn't you get high with me? It's fine if you don't want to but I won't let you ruin your life and fail because of a guy like Olumide."

"You are saying this because you like him."

Yetunde's lips lamped short and quivered. Romola say it as a green light to keep speaking. "I saw the way you were looking at him in the hospital."

"Yes, I like him but I won't let you date him because I don't want you to put your life in danger."

"How would dating Olumide put my life in danger? He saved me. From you!"

"My best friend will not date a murderer."

"What?" Romola's eyes widened. "How can you say that about Olumide?"

"This is what I mean. You don't know Olumide. How can you date him when you don't know that he murdered his own brother and was admitted into a psychiatric hospital?"

"I can't believe you would stoop so low. First, you drug me. Now, you tell me lies about a man who has been nothing but good to me since the first day we met. Your brother's friend. The one you like and you say you are my friend. Now I'm sure that I would rather spend a year with Olumide than a day with you."

"Seriously, I'm telling you the truth. I'm trying to save you from heartbreak. If..." Yetunde lowered her voice. "If it's a nice guy you want I can get one for you."

Romola walked around Yetunde then turned back, grabbed the Nokia phone and its charger before sauntering out of the room. She opened the door to find Olumide standing in front of the room with his hands raised towards the handle.

"I was coming for you."

"I'm fine. There was a little distraction." She shot a cold gaze at Yetunde. "but I've sort it out and I'm ready."

Olumide smiled, holding her wrist. He tugged her gently to his side and they made for the door.

"One more thing Olumide," Yetunde called out.

"Yes." He bit the word with his teeth.

"Don't forget that your house warming is this Saturday. Your parents will be there. I hope you give them the opportunity to meet your girlfriend."

Romola felt Olumide tense up beside her. He clenched his jaw as his back ramrod straight. Would there be a problem if she met his parents? She honestly didn't want to meet them. Not yet. Not while she didn't know who she was but she would if he wanted her to. "It's okay Olumide. I'm ready to meet them."

"Of course, you are. I'll be proud to show you off as my girlfriend." He turned to Yetunde. "See you on Saturday."

Yetunde smirked. "I wouldn't miss this house warming for anything."

Author's Note:

I'm sorry this is coming so late today. I had issues with my phone and NEPA. Still having issues but here is this chapter for now. I'm hoping everything gets fixed before Saturday next week, So I can publish the next chapter on time.