42: Down the Road

Romola stared through the tinted window, trying to force some memories out of the sparse memories she had that could give her a clue of how she was connected to this road. Grey walls and occasional tree flanked both sides of the road. Small wooden stalls popped up here and there. But none of them looked familiar.

"What's on your mind?" Olumide took his eyes the road to stare at her. They had not shared a word since the left the hospital. The memories... the moments occupied her mind.

"Nothing. I'm just trying to remember."

"Don't stress yourself. It would come when it will." He reached for her hand but she pulled her hands to her laps. She had been so excited to leave the hospital but the moment the car eased into the snailing traffic of the sweltering city filled with people marching to and fro, she had aught sight of something that stuck in her head.

She remembered the dark skinny woman, dressed in loose fading pink blouse with her waist shrouded in a wrapper, hawking agege bread. The loaves of bread sat on a circular wooden head tray, well balanced on her head. What stole Romola's mind was the little girl of about three to four years clutching the woman's dress. She stared at the sweat beads running down the girl's cheek, while the girl struggled to keep up with her mother's pace. Romola had not been able to blot the memory from her head.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine. Why are we coming here?" She demanded, as he took a left turn into a narrow street that boasted of clean sidewalks and little green trees.

The rays of the sun bathed the road in a golden filter, giving everything a sharp bright look. Even from the tinted windows of Olumide cars, she could see how bright everything looked. He drove past the yellow and malt coloured bungalows, past the stalls, past the shops, past the people and the trees until he came to a large cream gate, held up by two grey walls. Beyond the gate, a two storey building glared down at them. The building was coated in yellow paint. A tall mango tree stood at the left side and windows looked down on them. The windows stared on like a million eyes.

Olumide honked at the gate and an old man with droopy eyes hurried out of the ate. He walked to Olumide's side of the car and Olumide leaned out of the window. The man's face lit with recognition.

"Ha...oga mi... welcome." The man bowed.

Romola stared at the man wondering who he was and where they were. The man looked past Olumide and his smile widened as he stared at her. She forced a smile on her face as he raised his hand waving at her.

"Romola, welcome oh. Thank God you are okay." The man's voice was high pitched and loud. She kept her smile and nodded at the man.

'Please, just open the gate." Olumide instructed.

The man hurried back to the building and opened the gate Olumide drove into the compound and behind the building packing his car in a sparsely used car park. He turned off the car engine and then stared at Romola.

"Romola, what's wrong?"

"It's nothing."

"I don't want to hear that . Why are you quiet?"

"I...I saw something and I was thinking," Her voice trailed but rose as she asked, "Where is my mother? Why didn't any of my family member show up at the hospital?"

"We tried calling the number labelled mom on your phone." He reached for her hand again but this time she didn't pull away. He linked his finger with hers, staring into the deep brown pools of her eyes. "But it kept saying this number doesn't exist. And we couldn't find anyone else to call. Your phone contact is very sparse. That reminds me-"

He reached into his pocket with his free hand and pulled out her Samsung phone handing it to her.

She gripped the phone then placed it on the seat."Where are we?"

"Your flat. The one you share with Yetunde. It is up there." He pointed to the house on the top right corner.

"Why here?"

"Because you live here. Don't worry Romola. I'm not going to leave you with her." Olumide chuckled, "I can see the fear in your eyes. Just come. I want you to go upstairs and get your clothes. Then we'll go and see the surprise."

He helped her out of the car, before locking the door and leading her into the building, up four flights of the stairs and then to a brown wooden door.

He slipped his hand into the pocket and brought out a key attached to a mini red heart shaped cushion key holder. He placed the key into the keyhole but it didn't go in properly. He tried again and it refused to go in.

He pulled out the key.

Romola held his wrist, staring at him. "I think there is another key behind the door."

"Maybe Yetunde is home?" He asked.

Romola shrugged. She hoped that wasn't the case. She didn't want to be anywhere near that witch. Olumide raised his hand and knocked on the door.

"I'm coming. I'm coming..." They heard Yetunde say.

Both Olumide and Romola stared at each other, then the door opened to reveal Yetunde dressed in a free cotton singlet and denim shorts.

"Oh. It's you two." Her eyes narrowed at Romola then Olumide. "Mr and Mrs Makinde."

AUTHOR'S Note:

What do you think is about to happen next?