Chapter 54

"Chris? What do we do?"

"I don't know. Shit, I don't know." Chris paced back and forth. "I don't understand why they can't hear us."

"Maybe he's hurt."

"I hope not. Man, this... this is just one big fucking disaster after another."

"What do you suggest we do?"

Chris threw his hands up in the air. "I don't know Noelle." He looked over towards the rubble. "I think we should get out of here. The light is running low."

"That's ridiculous. We can't just leave them here."

"Well, getting help is our best option right now. We need to get out of here before that thing comes back."

Noelle looked around the cave. The light was fading, and the only place she could see was back where they came. Emotions began to overwhelm her, but she quickly took a deep breath and told Chris she would leave with him. "Let's go." Deep breath. "Let's go and get help."

Chris nodded and walked down towards the light. "Hurry, with me." He nearly stumbled on the slippery floor, but caught himself and continued walking. He looked behind himself to make sure Noelle was still following him. "Are you doing okay?"

Noelle wiped her forehead and panted. "I'm doing alright." She ducked under the bumpy ceiling so she didn't hit her antlers. "Let's just keep going."

"Alright. Keep up."

Noelle kind of lied. Alright was a very loose term. She's suffered from panic attacks and anxiety most of her life and everything that was happening gave her the most surreal feeling she's ever felt in her entire life. She felt like reality wasn't real anymore. It was messing with her emotions, but at least she can follow after someone. "Eeek!" Noelle slipped and fell to the floor.

Chris turned around and held out his hand. "Here, c'mon."

Suddenly, they heard a loud gurgling sound echo in the caves. Noelle grabbed his hand and started running next to him. They both started slipping a bit, but they didn't really care about that right now. The two finally found dryer ground, and before they knew it, they were out of the cave. Noelle fell down to her knees. "Ah, man. Oh my god, my heart..."

"Noelle? Are you okay?" Chris asked while he was looking around for the creature.

"...my heart is beating so fast. I need a breather." She placed her hand on her chest and panted over and over again. "Give me a second."

Chris looked around. "How long?"

Noelle gritted her teeth and gripped her chest. "I don't know!" Her words echoed throughout the mountainside.

"Hey man, we have to be quiet." Chris got down next to Noelle. "The faster we get out of here the better!"

Noelle panted. "We need to hide... somewhere... because I am not... scaling the mountain."

"Hey, Susie. We should really get going, we have to find Chris and Noelle."

Susie's eyes widened. "Wait, they're down here?!"

"Well... okay, it wasn't smart to take them... but the whole plan in the first place wasn't smart. It was going to be dangerous." Kris stood up. "But I think it was worth it. Besides, there was no other way." He brushed his hair out of his face. "So, are we going?"

Susie smirked. "Okay, fine. I hope I can get water soon." Susie stumbled while she stood up. Kris got close to make sure she wouldn't fall. "Heh. Thanks." Susie felt her head. "Hey, I think I'm lightheaded or somethin'."