Chapter 32

Blam!

"Huh?!" Susie shot up. She looked at Kris and he was sitting up as well. "Kris! What was that?"

Kris turned in her direction, still staring right over the trees. "It's been happening for several hours now." He looked dead, not quite from getting beaten up, but mostly because he couldn't sleep with his injuries.

"Really?" She grabbed Kris's shoulder. He winced. "Oh, sorry."

Kris nodded. "It's cool."

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?"

Kris smirked. "Well, to be honest, I thought all the loud noise would wake you up eventually... but yeah, I wanted to let you rest."

"Thanks, Kris."

"Of course." Kris sat up so he was less tangled in Susie's dress. "It's a shame our clothes got beat up so bad."

Susie raised an eye. "It's a shame that you got beat up so bad."

Kris shrugged. "Ha. Yeah. Are you okay though?" He scratched his head. "I barely remember what happened."

Susie took in a deep breath. "Yeah. I'm okay."

"...That's good." Kris took his phone out of his pocket. "Oh, fuck."

"What is it?"

Kris hit his phone. "This." He turned it towards Susie, and her eyes widened.

"Wow. That's scary impressive. Impressive that you didn't die from that, and that your phone did, I mean."

Kris tried to lay back down, but doing that caused him to yelp.

"You okay?"

Kris coughed. "Yeah. Just fine." He tried to fake a smile.

"What, are you sick now or something?"

"No, don't worry about it. I'm fine." He wiped the spit off of his mouth. Should I tell her?

"Well, I'm going to worry dude... You're important to me." Susie could tell that Kris was flattered from the way he tried to hide his grin.

"Ha. Thanks... That was very sweet of you."

Susie smiled. "Dude. You already know it's true. I shouldn't have to tell you for you to know that."

Kris sighed and tried to hide his smile. "I know. It just helps a lot."

"Hey, Kris?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

Susie got close to Kris. She looked up into the sky and scratched the back of her head. "Ugh, this seems like a stupid question, but ya know how a while ago we were talking about that shit before and we got really close?"

"Which? Oh."

"Yeah. We told each other that we could rely on... us. Like friends do... and you told me how you saw that I was fucked and that you wanted to help. I want to be the one to help you now. And in order to do that, I actually need to ask you something personal."

"What is it?"

"Let me phrase this in a way that makes sense. Uhh. Do you have... Is there anyone... How many people are you close to? Like a lot? Or no."

"Umm..." Kris looked away. "There's my mom, my dad, my brother... maybe some friends. Why?"

"It must suck being at home... your dad isn't there... and your brother's off in college."

Kris wanted to ask what she was trying to get to, but the more she talked, the more he started to realize what she wanted to know. "Y-yeah. It sucks. A lot. I don't have a lot of people that truly give a shit about me. And no offense to her, but my mom can be very annoying to be around sometimes. It's tiring me out."