✧ Hospital Holidays ✧

here's our first holiday oneshot!! i love this concept a whole lot, even if i didn't mean to make it similar to tfios---- but uuuuhh i wrote this like three times over before it turned out how i wanted sooo,, enjoy??? ((barely edited, xo))

----

Frank's lips were pursed as he gazed at the delivery being wheeled into the lobby, a crowd having gathered as it was dropped into the recreation room -- the young teenager staring at the beckoning tree with distaste on his tongue, his hands shoved into the pockets of his hoodie.

He frowned at the pine droppings scattered across the path the tree had taken across the room, thinking of the mess and hassle it would cause later on. Gnawing on his lip ring, the fifteen-year-old was, in all honestly, underwhelmed and unimpressed at what the staff had managed to come up with. Their holiday surprise was a damned tree? Of everything they could've chosen to attempt and lift their spirits, they chose something that they'd toss away in a few months, regardless?

Not everybody else seemed to agree with him though, as the younger children were already flocking towards the pine -- giggling as they admired how it towered over their short, stature forms.

Gerard, on the other hand, was slinking in the corner, watching silently from the sidelines as the festivities began. His torso was clad in his favorite comfort sweater, his hands curled into paws in the long sleeves and the baggy fabric hanging from his lanky form. He was keeping his expression neutral, trying his hardest to keep up his constantly unimpressed persona. Deep down, though, he was giddy with child-like joy at the excitement of finally having some sense of home here in the sterile hells of the hospital.

His poker face broke for the briefest of seconds to smile as he spotted lights being retrieved from cardboard boxes peeled open in the back -- although he quickly composed himself, clearing his throat as he glanced to the only other teenager in the room.

Frank seemed just as unimpressed as he had, only worsened, if possible. He had the biggest of scowls on his face, staring at the tree in utter hatred, as one of his hands tightening into an impossible fist around the handle of his oxygen canister. Shortly, he caught Gerard's gaze, his expression softening for the briefest of moments before he quickly blinked -- adjusting his cannula and turning to leave the room, rolling his oxygen behind him.

Gerard only watched, pursing his lips silently as holiday spirit dawned all around him...

✦✦✦

Frank was halfway through eating a depressingly soggy bowl of cereal when a sudden weight joined on the bench seat beside him -- Frank pausing mid-bite to turn bluntly to whoever had interrupted his cafeteria silence.

Of course, lo and behold, it was Gerard Way.

Sighing, Frank turned back to his cereal -- keeping his mouth shut as he chewed through a mushy bite of bran. Gerard didn't say anything, though, and only tore open his pop-tart packet -- eating it cold as Frank spared him a short glance through his peripheral vision.

Both said nothing though, keeping their silence as they ate through only minor uncomfortable tension between them. It was Gerard, who finally broke through that thick veil of confrontation. "So... you didn't look too impressed yesterday."

"What is there to be impressed about?" Frank asked, turning to Gerard with a cocked eyebrow high on his face. Not quite his friend, not quite his acquaintance. Just the boy who he tolerated a bit more leniently than the rest. "I hate it."